Tone Control/Stack Articles?

Started by aziltz, March 20, 2009, 11:52:06 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

aziltz

Are there any noteworthy articles on Tone Control and Tone Stacks?  I've read Jack Orman's stuff over at AMZ, but I'm looking for some new reading.

I was toying around with the clipping section of a TS-Type Pedal, and I wanted to try different tone networks/controls/stacks after it.

Ripthorn

Any book on analog filter design will get you a good basis.  If you want something a little more hands on, Duncan's tone stack calculator helps you see what different component values translate into in terms of frequency response.
Exact science is not an exact science - Nikola Tesla in The Prestige
https://scientificguitarist.wixsite.com/home

aziltz

Quote from: Ripthorn on March 21, 2009, 12:29:29 AM
Any book on analog filter design will get you a good basis.  If you want something a little more hands on, Duncan's tone stack calculator helps you see what different component values translate into in terms of frequency response.

I have Duncan's Calculator as well.  I think I was hoping to find some information on signal drop through tone stacks and the amount of clean gain you would need before it to drive it.

solderman

Quote from: aziltz on March 20, 2009, 11:52:06 PM
Are there any noteworthy articles on Tone Control and Tone Stacks?  I've read Jack Orman's stuff over at AMZ, but I'm looking for some new reading.

I was toying around with the clipping section of a TS-Type Pedal, and I wanted to try different tone networks/controls/stacks after it.

Hi, Two places that I use is http://amps.zugster.net/articles/tone-stacks the rest of the site is also very interesting. here you got lots of examples.

To calculate I use http://www.muzique.com/schem/filter.htm simpel but good. but this is prob. old news for you.

//Solderman

The only bad sounding stomp box is an unbuilt stomp box. ;-)
//Take Care and build with passion

www.soldersound.com
xSolderman@soldersound.com (exlude x to mail)

Andi

Quote from: aziltz on March 21, 2009, 12:44:33 AMI have Duncan's Calculator as well.  I think I was hoping to find some information on signal drop through tone stacks and the amount of clean gain you would need before it to drive it.

The calculator tells you that!

aziltz

Quote from: Andi on March 21, 2009, 06:42:41 AM
Quote from: aziltz on March 21, 2009, 12:44:33 AMI have Duncan's Calculator as well.  I think I was hoping to find some information on signal drop through tone stacks and the amount of clean gain you would need before it to drive it.

The calculator tells you that!
i dont quite understand the basics yet.

Andi

The plot on the right shows you the output level vs frequency. At the top is 0dB, ie the same level out. Then it shows you how much signal is lost at each frequency. Hit the sweep button to see the range, then you can spot the maximum and average levels and work out the makeup gain needed from that.

aziltz

Quote from: Andi on March 21, 2009, 11:00:48 AM
The plot on the right shows you the output level vs frequency. At the top is 0dB, ie the same level out. Then it shows you how much signal is lost at each frequency. Hit the sweep button to see the range, then you can spot the maximum and average levels and work out the makeup gain needed from that.

Sorry I was unclear.  I understand what the Calculator is doing.  I haven't yet taken the time to discover and investigate what kind of gain stage is well suited to driving a tone stack vs a simple tone roll off.