Torrodial Transfo's and the center tap

Started by momo, March 26, 2009, 03:21:31 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

momo

Im using a torrodial to power 2 effects, a neovibe and a valvecaster. I read up on the transfo basics at GEO and how you can use one transfo and have 2 power sources using the center tap. Does this apply to a torrodial?. In other words, I have 4 wires coming out on secondary, so Im thinking to use one center wire with one outer, do that 2 times. I tried it and I get the voltages. Its just the same voltages on the other configuration on the 4 secondary wires.
So does it matter which 2 wires i use for one source? and not mess up the ground.
both outputs were loaded with 3w 250 ohm load for the tests.

thanks
"Alas to those who die with their song still in them."

jakehop

Hi Mario,

The windings aren't seperated from each other, and I think doing it like that will cause more harm than good. Instead, I would propose studying a bit up on star grounding, and doing the box with a common power supply.

Just my 0.02$

Kind regards, Jake

R.G.

Quote from: momo on March 26, 2009, 03:21:31 PM
Im using a torrodial to power 2 effects, a neovibe and a valvecaster. I read up on the transfo basics at GEO and how you can use one transfo and have 2 power sources using the center tap. Does this apply to a torrodial?.
A toroidal transformer is a transformer, so yes.

In other words, I have 4 wires coming out on secondary, so Im thinking to use one center wire with one outer, do that 2 times. I tried it and I get the voltages. Its just the same voltages on the other configuration on the 4 secondary wires.
It is not clear what you mean by this.

QuoteSo does it matter which 2 wires i use for one source? and not mess up the ground.
both outputs were loaded with 3w 250 ohm load for the tests.
It's not possible to tell. Probably OK, but I'm not really sure what you're doing.

R.G.

In response to the questions in the forum - PCB Layout for Musical Effects is available from The Book Patch. Search "PCB Layout" and it ought to appear.

momo

Thanks everyone for the replies and sorry if this is not all crystal clear.... :icon_lol:

So Ill make it simple......I recently built a great Valvecaster, it eats batteries like I can't afford and so I though up somethin....
My neovibe has a 24v torrodial, I say 24v, because I get 12v on both sets of secondary wires.(blue/green, and brown/red)..... I was not fully using the torrodial, R,G had helped me determine that a 270 oHm resistor one one pair would feed 15v ac to the neovibe.
So now I blew the l7815 and bulb I guess on my neovibe..!! :icon_rolleyes:....when I plugged both the neo and the valve running on the torrodial. I think the Rectifier/regulator circuit I did for the valvecaster did not work and most of the voltage went to the neovibe(the bulb was way stronger!)......

So anyhow, now Im trying combinations of resistors on the secondaries to "skew" the voltages off a bit( 10ac Valvecaster and 14vac for the neovibe)...can I do this?

Im not grounding the ac wires before rectification and I may actually link both effects together with just one input and output....

Pics of the torrodial inthe neovibe and the valvcaster(both enclosures come from a movie projector and fit together, so it would be great to power both with this torrodial

"Alas to those who die with their song still in them."