Incorporating jfet circuits into positive ground effects?

Started by Solidhex, March 27, 2009, 03:22:09 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Solidhex

Yo

Couldn't find any definitive info with the search function... What do you all recommend for adding Jfet buffers/boosters into positive ground effects. Wiring them upside down or finding suitable p-channel Jfets? If P-channel's the way to go what are good substitutes for the the ubiquitous j201, 2N5457, Bs-170, etc?

--Brad

Auke Haarsma

Solidhex

Yo

I'm aware of bipolar power supplies but I would rather know if there are positive ground versions of these circuits/components. I wouldn't want to automatically build a bipolar power supply into an effect without knowing for sure if/why I had to. Simplicity's important too I think. If you can accomplish the same task with fewer parts and signal/power routing then there's less stuff to go wrong. But if I find out there's a really good reason not to build positive ground versions of those circuits I'll go the bipolar route.

--Brad

MattXIV

I think you should be able to use them with the proper orientation (drain at higher voltage, source at lower).  The doping type of the JFET affects whether it's positive or negative voltages relative to the drain that pinch off the channel.