How do you tighten those round carling nuts?

Started by Nitefly182, March 28, 2009, 06:08:52 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Nitefly182

Im thinking about using carling switches for a couple builds but I dont know that I have a tool to tighten that roundish nut they come with. What do I need to install these switches?

Altec

SonicVI

I was just going to ask this very same question today!

kurtlives

You mean those big Carling switch's that some of us use for amp's Power and Standby switches?

I use the put the hex nut on first. Then I install the switch in the hole. Put on the circular nut on top. Then I spin the switch around while holding the inside hex nut.

Sorry its hard to explain. It works for me though.
My DIY site:
www.pdfelectronics.com

Nitefly182

There must be a tool. I was thinking that the gibson nut tool might work but I wasn't sure if the size was right. I dont plan on using many of these switches because they are $9 each but I want them for a couple fuzz builds that dont get LEDs.

R.G.

Carling makes a special tool for that.

Check Stewart-MacDonald Luthiers' Supply, they may stock them.
R.G.

In response to the questions in the forum - PCB Layout for Musical Effects is available from The Book Patch. Search "PCB Layout" and it ought to appear.

frank_p

For "round nuts", you can put a solid piece of carboard inside of your pair of pliers jaw's.  Fold the cardboard as not to scratch the surface on what it is screwed.  I felt stupid not to had used the trick when I learned it...

Nitefly182

SonicVI

I think that may be the best. I compared one of the Carling type nuts with a Gibson/Switchcraft switch nut and the gibson nut is a bit larger, so the tool might be a bit too big.   I may have to get one of those.  I just bought a bunch of those nuts at a local shop. 

maze

what I do for pedals is to first install a hex nut then a star washer and then put it thru the enclosure then
insall the round nut (or another hex ) get a  wrench and bend it in an off set in a vice kind of like a z shape then tighten it from the inside
of the pedal this way you don't scar the nut or the paint on the out side
I have one of those stamped out sheet metal wrenches that came with a put together furnature package
you may have to file it to size  but once you make it you will have it for ever
if you tighten everything from the inside you never have to worry about screwing up nuts or pant jobs
and this method makes adjusting a wha switch a whole lot less pain in the ass
and well worth the effort

petemoore

Those nuts are easily bent when the 'thin walls are pinched >O<, pliers can easily distort them into ovalular shape and make the threads stick or lock.

Convention creates following, following creates convention.

bumblebee

I hold the round nut with my fingers and turn the switch.

noelgrassy

The Gibson nut tool is too large. The other "V" shaped wrench is too small.  As Pete Moore described, the thin walled nuts will quickly deform
under force. The bent-wrench of redemption seems to be the most cost effective and efficient tool to accomplish tightening. Great idea maze!

I've used a $35+ USD slip-joint wrench for years without any detrimental deformations to the round nut. The wrench is very short [apprx. 6" long]
and has very narrow and closely spaced teeth on the jaws. I never need to really squeeze the handles too much.

Working from the inside has got to be the best way though!

NG.
"Of the demonstrably wise there are but two: those who commit suicide, and those who keep their reasoning faculties atrophied by drink." Mark TwGL

SonicVI

Well, I ordered one of those ESP wrenches, so we'll see if it works or not. I needed some parts from stew-mac anyway and that looks like a useful little tool whether it works for this application or not.