ALEMBIC STRATOBLASTER layout, for 2N3819

Started by GREEN FUZ, March 30, 2009, 03:11:09 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

GREEN FUZ

Just built this over the weekend. Didn`t have access to a J201 or 2n5457 so used a 2n3819, which seems to be easier to get hold of in the UK. The pinout is different so designing a layout was a matter of necessity. As far as I can tell it all works as it should although I have nothing to compare it to. It`s a fairly compact, trouble free build, which gives a decent boost.

Substitutions made were a 1uf in place of the 1.5uf and I used a 100k Lin pot although 50k Rev Audio is recommended for a better taper.

Layout is here if anyone is interested.

http://www.aronnelson.com/gallery/main.php/v/album174/ALEMBIC+STRATOBLASTER+2N3819.gif.html

Offboard wiring was done according to the layout at G.G.G.

http://www.generalguitargadgets.com/diagrams/asb_gc_lo.gif

knealebrown

Just built this circuit as to break my DIY virginity, have not got it wired up to a switch/jacks yet but am looking forward to it  :icon_biggrin:.

1. What does it sound like? (there are no demos on youtube)
2. Did you just connect the wires in the GGC diagram that were meant for the PUPs to the input jacks tip and sleave?
3. Can i just connect my status LED and limiting resistor between the Battery AC and stripboard?

thanks.
''99 problems but a glitch aint one!''

Xlch721

Quote from: knealebrown on May 10, 2009, 07:27:32 PM
Just built this circuit as to break my DIY virginity, have not got it wired up to a switch/jacks yet but am looking forward to it  :icon_biggrin:.

1. What does it sound like? (there are no demos on youtube)
2. Did you just connect the wires in the GGC diagram that were meant for the PUPs to the input jacks tip and sleave?
3. Can i just connect my status LED and limiting resistor between the Battery AC and stripboard?

thanks.
Here is a pretty good Stratoblaster demo. Enjoy
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9BGI1Tli7P8

knealebrown

lol there are a few in the related field on youtube now, guess i was only searching for alembic stratoblaster instead of just stratoblaster
thanks

GREEN FUZ

I designed the layout in order to fit into a guitar cavity. That`s why the 16mm pot connects directly to the vero traces. If you wanted to build it into an enclosure you could, as you say, just wire the input jack to the wires where the pickup is indicated on the G.G.G. layout. The layout may need adapting to fit into an enclosure, i.e attach the pot via wires as opposed to attaching to board in order for it to fit.
I didn`t use an led but if you do your best bet is to use a 3pdt switch and follow one of the layouts on G.G.G or this forum.

Good luck.

knealebrown

the circuit is not working so im just trying to debug it now, are one leg of each components C1 and R1 going into the same hole of the stripboard in your diagram? just because thats how ive built it. also i needed three ground cables so i just attached them all to the same ground point you have labeled on the diagram, i presume that is ok?

hopefully one of those things are wrong otherwise i have no idea whats going on,  :icon_frown: because my soldering was surprisingly painless and i cant have burnt anything out, plus ive also checked that all polarized caps etc are the right way round.

GREEN FUZ

Quote from: knealebrown on May 15, 2009, 05:50:34 PM
the circuit is not working so im just trying to debug it now, are one leg of each components C1 and R1 going into the same hole of the stripboard in your diagram? just because thats how ive built it...

It`s not essential they both go in the same hole. They are simply going to ground.

Quote... also i needed three ground cables so i just attached them all to the same ground point you have labeled on the diagram, i presume that is ok?

That`s fine.

... ive also checked that all polarized caps etc are the right way round.

Have you also checked the pinout of the transistor? Did you use a 2N3819?
You should check for solder bridges also. I sometimes score between the traces with a sharp blade. I`ve had dead builds "spring to life" by removing traces I didn`t even know existed.

Good luck

knealebrown

thanks, everything should be ok, i downloaded the data sheet for the j201 and checked the pin out etc, so pretty sure thats ok, also checked for solder bridges visually but will run a knife down the tracks anyway.
i think it may be the off board wiring if anything so im going to get my audio electronics lecturer to double check it.
thanks for the help

GREEN FUZ

The J201 has a different pinout to the 2N3819.

knealebrown

yeah i checked that on the data sheet when i was populating the board so im sure that its ok, if i cant get it working in a few days ill post pics and somebody can point out where ive gone wrong its probs just a silly mistake somewhere. its my first build so didnt expect to get it right straight away

knealebrown

ha ha, done! that was a relatively painless debug i had the pot wired wrong, knew it would be a silly mistake.

thats my first one done, its hella messy so im gonna do it again cos i ordered surplus parts. thanks for the help.

this is going to be a good hobby, its very satisfying when you eventually get it right  :icon_biggrin:.

although i anticipate a good few nights sat screaming at PCB's, covered in ferric cloride and getting annoyed at things

bassplaya12

Sorry for digging this thread up but does this really fatten up single coils as it claims to?

knealebrown

Quote from: bassplaya12 on January 07, 2010, 12:24:07 PM
Sorry for digging this thread up but does this really fatten up single coils as it claims to?

sorry for the stupidly late reply but heres some demos of the stratoblaster

http://kneale.bandcamp.com/album/guitar-pedal-sound-samples

bassplaya12

That sounds good.  What else is running?

knealebrown

The first sample is without the stratoblaster and the second sample is with it engaged.

Signal chain is a 72 fender telecaster thinline, stratoblaster, dan armstrong orange squeezer, EHX deluxe memory man (and ibanez TS-9 tubescreamer (modded to 808 specs) on the lead licks) into a fender blues deluxe reissue