Stripping powder coating?

Started by SonicVI, March 31, 2009, 10:16:46 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

SonicVI

Anybody know if regular paint strippers will also remove powder coating as well?

jefe

I'm pretty sure the answer is no. Powder coating is not solvent-based. I once tried zip-stip on a commercial powder coated box, the zip-strip didn't even touch the powder coat. I ended up sanding it.

edit: but you never know, maybe someone else knows of something better than zip-strip.

petemoore

Anybody know if regular paint strippers will also remove powder coating as well?
  No, but can suggest a 'fine toothed' scuff-up then a primer coat...fine sanding, acetone cleaning then primer.
  Powder coating is much harder than what can be brushed on.
Convention creates following, following creates convention.

m-theory

I can't think of any valid reason to strip it.  It's a very solid substrate that shouldn't cause you any problems whatsoever, provided you sand and clean it properly before recoating it.  That said, if you MUST strip it for some reason, you'll have to sand it, as previously stated.

SonicVI

It's a hammered finish, so it's not smooth enough to use as a substrate.  Apparently some stuff called Aircraft Remover can do it, but it may cost more to buy a quart than to just buy a new enclosure.

jefe

Aircraft Remover? Isn't that for removing unsightly aircraft? (sorry, couldn't resist)

Do you have an electric sander? That could do the job in less than 10 minutes.

Another idea - sell it, and use the money to buy a new enclosure?

John Lyons

You can buy a powdercoating stripper but it's not cheap.
Eastwood or powder by the pound should have it.

Better to sell or sand the box in question.

john

Basic Audio Pedals
www.basicaudio.net/

Mick Bailey

I use an oxy-propane cutting torch to burn it off. Just play the torch with the oxygen level set fairly low over the finish and it burns off cleanly and instantly without distorting or damaging the metal underneath. You have to take care to keep the torch moving and not get the metal hot. A quick rub over with medium steel wool leaves bare metal ready to re-finish.

This way generates plenty of smoke so it has to be done outside or in a very well ventilated area.

The reason I use this method is to remove the powder coating on new rim locks and other hardware such as strap hinges so they can be refinished to match original fittings for house renovation projects.