The Mini-Plexi !

Started by petemoore, April 02, 2009, 11:14:34 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

petemoore

The output shares the topology of the Super Lead amplifiers, 4 output tubes: P/P.
  The power supply is LV and the circuit is adapted for use with sub-mini tubes.
  The preamp too, except the feedback loop for presence control may need to be re-drafted, perhaps.
  The 4 tube, distorting output sound of the old P/P amplifiers is the ultimate goal, 4 suitable speakers being part of the design, but with the ability to power a 'short stack'.
  Sorry, right now I'm sawing off a field coil amplifier and testing it for usable goodies, it might be a while before I happen on enough sub-mini type hardware to try it.
  I just had to type it today, it's been rolling around as an interesting thing to try if sub-mini-ing tube amplifiers.
  Having tried speaker cabinets with 1, 2 and some with 4 x 6'' and 8'' drivers, more drivers in a box is a different sound.
  The same thing seems true with SE Vs. PP sound, and PP with tube pairs seems to exhibit characteristics and behavior that makes their non-linearities desirable, up to this point the only 4 tube PP amps I've tried rarely got the chance to go non-lin, and at that required such cabinetries and speaker componentries, large areas with no walls etc. as to make them difficult to make distort.
  Such difficulties and inability to distort should be less of a problem with LV amplifiers.
Convention creates following, following creates convention.

m-theory

I've been lusting over Dana's 2 watt sub-mini trainwreck, ever since he first posted about it over at ampgarage.  I have this wet dream of building it into a mini plexi head cabinet, and building two mini plexi speaker cabs for it.  In the top cab, I'd have 4x8".  I'd mic one of those 8s, and send that signal to a 100 watt mosfet amp that was mounted in the bottom cab, which would house a single 12".  I think it'd be pretty bitchin' cool.  Sort of a novelty, but totally useable.  I have a dream...Trouble is, that Marshall hardware is SO darn pricey!