Skyripper questions, for the Skyripper enthusiasts

Started by Praying_V, April 02, 2009, 10:43:21 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Praying_V

Hi everyone, a few quick questions:

When you set the bias trims, isn't the voltage you'll get dependent on the external bias pot?  So my question is, where do you set the external pot, before setting the internal trims? 

Second question, it seems that the ripper pot forms a positive feedback loop when the Rangemaster is engaged, but it make a negative feedback loop when you switch the Rangemaster off.  It seems that when switching the Rangemaster off, I get a lousy reduction in gain if the ripper pot is clockwise.  I guess that's just the way it is?

Last question, my buffer pot makes abrupt changes to the tone at each end of its rotation.  Its smooth in the middle, with that gain-reduction effect, but at each end there's like a sudden jump in gain, almost like it "clicks" in at a certain point.  At first I thought my pot had some bad spots in the resistive material, but it does that with every dual-gang pot I've tried.  Guess its normal?

The pedal is working great, sounding exactly how it's supposed to.  Built the the official specs, no shortcuts.  But I wanted to ask about these few things, just to see if the "Skyripper enthusiasts" have some input (you know who you are -- Joe Gagan, John Lyons, basically anyone who plays the Ripper on a regular basis). .............................................ken

John Lyons

Ha! don't forget about tungngruv, he isn't here much anymore but he got me into the SR and then Joe answered my questions...
Now Joe's MIA too...
At any rate.
The Bias knob is more of a voltage reduction so make sure to set the actual bias trimmers with the external bias knob full up (-9v).

The Buffer is a cross fader, each end is where the action is mainly. It took a while for me to get my head around that one...:)

I'm not sure about the ripper/negative feedback but it looks like you are right. Joe's '07 version has the rangemaster on all the time an only with a true bypass and no separate range/fuzz bypass. I know he was mainly about keeping them both on at the same time.

Joe's notes schematic are very thorough so make sure to read those a few times when setting up the bias ans tuning in the voltages for the "rip bias".

Joe, if you read this please get a hold of me...I need my pedals back!!!!!!!!!!

John

Basic Audio Pedals
www.basicaudio.net/

Praying_V

I didn't forget about tungngruv, I just couldn't remember how to spell his name!  Didn't he make a page dedicated to the SR at some point?

That's good to know about the bias pot.  That's how I set it up, but I wasn't sure if maybe it should be set so that you can nudge the voltage in either direction.  On my pedal, The bias pot can only move about 20 degrees before the voltage drops too low and the circuit shuts off.  Does yours do this too John?  I'm thinking maybe the 50K pot is too much.

In the '07 schematic that I have, the fuzz is on all the time, and the Rangemaster is switchable with S2.  I think there's some confusion about this, because there were posts where Joe was saying it was the other way around.  But look at the schem --  the fuzz is always on.  I can't find the schem online right now, but in the "skyripper history" thread, Joe gets it right at the bottom of page 2: 

"once the tru bypass is on, fuzz is on all the time. rangemaster can't be on by itself, if you want a RM , build one icon_wink"

Thanks for the reply John.  I used your layout!  ...................................................ken

John Lyons

Ken
Yes, the "bias" pot needs to be something like 10K or maybe even 5K.
Joe had a reason for 50K but it eludes me... I changed mine to a lower
value... The pot just put resistance in between the power source and
the battery. So when there is no resistance the battery is giving full
power to the circuit. Definetly set the bias trimmers with full power applied.

You are correct, the fuzz is on all the time and the rangemaster is switchable
but not by itself. I forgot...I built the original version.

Let me know if you need any of Joe's schematics or layouts.
I have everything Tung/tony posted and had at his gagan site.
I've got some "manuals" and old forum posts and explanations as well.

john

Basic Audio Pedals
www.basicaudio.net/