small bear matched transistor resistor test values....why?

Started by ode2no1, April 04, 2009, 08:35:42 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

ode2no1

you know how when you order a pair of matched germaniums from small bear steve sends you a little sheet with the values he tested them in a fuzz face circuit with....well why is this? can't you just use a trim pot to set the bias and use the original schematic resistor values? the reason i ask is because i bought a fuzz face PCB from GGG a few years ago and used those values and the other day i opened it up and was pretty bummed at how crappy my wiring was and wanted to just rewire it and socket some stuff, but i messed with the caps a while ago and pads are lifted and i have jumpers going everywhere and it's a big mess. so...i was thinking of just re-doing the whole circuit on veroboard, but wondered about those resistor values and if they actually matter a whole lot. what do you guys think?

anchovie

Bringing you yesterday's technology tomorrow.

ode2no1

hmm...what's weird is that a few years ago i lowered the 22uF cap to 3.3. i figured since it was the biggest cap it would could down on the mushiness of the circuit. so anyway it did what i wanted, but the other day i socketed it to try the original value in there but now the whole thing sounds misbiased. and when i set it back up the way i was using it for a while it still sounds misbiased. any idea what could have happened?