simple muff gain stage questions...

Started by m_charles, April 05, 2009, 04:21:41 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

m_charles

Hi everyone!

Had 2 quick questions. I did a search and found several different answers to these questions, so I was hoping someone could help me understand (clarify) who is correct.

My questions are:

1) Technically speaking how many gain stages stages does a muff have?
2) How many clip sections (this one is easy, but there seemed to be some confusion between clip/gain stages in my search and it's related so I included it here).

I believe the simple answer is 4 GAIN stages and 2 CLIP stages.

Are all the stages really considered "gain" stages, or does something have to happen electronically speaking to be considered a "gain" stage on this or any pedal?

thank you all...

Chuck

burnt fingers

Well if by gain you mean amplify then I think yes, 4.  The input gain stage, the two that also clip and the recovery after the tone stack.

Scott
Rock and Roll does not take a vacation!!

www.rockguitarlife.com
My Music

Nitefly182

Buffer, clip, clip, recovery IMO. The recovery is supposed to just return volume lost by the tone stack. One of the reasons the Jumbo tonebender isn't as loud is that its a muff that lacks a recovery stage.

brett

Hi
this is an interesting question.

If you have a gain stage that clips, so that the RMS voltage doesn't increase, but the slew rate increases (ie the signal bjust becomes "squarer"), is it really a gain stage?
e.g. the second BMP clipping stage.

All viewpoints gladly considered.
Brett Robinson
Let a hundred flowers bloom, let a hundred schools of thought contend. (Mao Zedong)

Lurco

yes: without gain (at unity gain or less) the slope wouldn`t get steeper ("increased slew rate")