Testing Ge Transistor Pinout?

Started by theregoesnorman, April 07, 2009, 03:01:54 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

theregoesnorman

Is there a simple way to do this?  I can't find the data sheet.

I looked in the FAQ and searched, but didn't find anything...

Thanks!

GibsonGM

Sometimes the collector has a mark to identify it. Then it's just finding base and emitter.

Otherwise, try this, best way I know of with no data sheet:
Using a DMM with diode test function, put your red (+) probe on what you think is the base.  Measure the diode drop to each other leg (essentially a tranny is 2 diodes back-to-back).  The LOWER diode drop signifies the base to collector connection, the higher one the base to emitter.   This is for an NPN tranny....if it's an older Ge type, it could be a PNP, and you'd have to find the base using the black (-) probe but all else is the same.   If you get no reading, you either have the polarity of your probes backwards, or are measuring across the emitter and collector. 

With the various permutations and combinations available, it shouldn't take too long to the the polarity right, and find those drops.  Write down your data, and there ya go :o)
  • SUPPORTER
MXR Dist +, TS9/808, Easyvibe, Big Muff Pi, Blues Breaker, Guv'nor.  MOSFace, MOS Boost,  BJT boosts - LPB-2, buffers, Phuncgnosis, FF, Orange Sunshine & others, Bazz Fuss, Tonemender, Little Gem, Orange Squeezer, Ruby Tuby, filters, octaves, trems...

Jarno

And isn't the base always connected to the metal package in Ge transistors?

theregoesnorman