News:

SMF for DIYStompboxes.com!

Main Menu

TOPFET???

Started by m_charles, April 09, 2009, 05:43:27 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

m_charles

Hi!

I'm trying to replace a K118 "topfet" transistor. It looks just like any 3pin tranny, but the only replacement I could find was $21.00 for one!
First, what's a topfet? And #2, does anyone know a sub?

I'm trying to revive an Ibanez DL10 (my favorite delay-digital or analog). It's having switching issues. It locks up "on" but only a tiny signal comes through, then sometimes it works fine. I think a bad FET. Is this a good assumption?

Any help is appreciated.

thanks,

Chuck

Taylor

"Temperature and Overload Protected Field Effect Transistor"

Do you have the schem? It would probably help in finding a replacement. Not knowing anything about the circuit itself, stompboxes don't usually create enough heat to kill components, so I wonder if a regular FET would do the job?

Minion

If all else fails you can allways convert the pedal to True bypass switching.....
Go to bed with itchy Bum , wake up with stinky finger !!

anchovie

The DL-10 is supposedly not too different to a DL-5, for which there is a schematic here: http://experimentalistsanonymous.com/diy/Schematics/Delay%20Echo%20and%20Samplers/Ibanez%20DL5%20Delay.gif

The FET used in the switching doesn't have a part number specified, so I suspect any N-channel JFET will do the job. I doubt the K118 (a.k.a. BUK118) was chosen specifically for this job - it may well have been that Ibanez had a whole stash of them for whatever reason and just wanted to use them up somehow.
Bringing you yesterday's technology tomorrow.

Jered

I think 2SK184 is very close and available.