Am I a Vulture?

Started by punkin, April 10, 2009, 09:03:43 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

punkin

Awhile back I scored a Peavy PGP-20 rackmounted pre-amp. Got it really cheap (20 bucks I think) on ebay. It's a little rough looking but fully functional. I played around with it and lost interest. Not a terribly remarkable device in my collection. Lately I've been looking at it as a parts donor but it makes me feel a little guilty and I don't know why.

What do you think I should do with it?
Ernie Ball Music Man - JPM, THD Univalve, Grace Big Daddy, PepperShredder, BSIAB2, FireFly Amplifier.

trendyironicname

"Am I a Vulture?"

-yes.

and you are among your kind here...

:D
There are 10 types of people in the world, those who understand binary, and those who don't.

Gregory Kollins

I tore apart a fender 15G practice amp because I thought I'd never need it again, plus it was more or less an abomination to whatever was being played through it.... but then I needed it the following week. Oh well. I built like 2 or 3 really nice pedals with the parts.

Altec

Pushtone

VULTCH IT!

You said it all when you wrote not the most remarkable of the collection.
Brother, make it remarkable.

Things to Vultch:

Computer power supplies: Good wire, IEC sockets, power switch, caps, heatsinks, 12V regs

Old MIDI interfaces: Din plugs but mostly for the 19" rackmount chassis.
Friends keep giving me their old Upcodes and want a mic preamp inside.
I've got like 6 now. I really should get to work on those.

1980's stereo recivers with "PRO LOGIC".
Many had reverb and room effects to make the sound bigger.
Some used the coveted MN3007 analog bucket brigade chip that could be used to make a chorus, flange.
Some TVs with reverb effect also used the Panasonic chip.

Antique tube radios, organs, public address amps.
Have all the fixin's for a whole lota tube amp fun.

General parts to look for:
Caps, all sizes and voltages.
Regulators and heatsinks.
Bridge rectifier chips.
Power diodes switches, sockets, cords.
Small machine screws.

D
It's time to buy a gun. That's what I've been thinking.
Maybe I can afford one, if I do a little less drinking. - Fred Eaglesmith

Boogdish

Right now it's a product made on printed circuit board at a factory full of people who're waiting for 5pm to punch out. Turn it into something special instead.  Just having a good rackmountable enclosure is worth $20, build something else in there, and when you get tired of that, build something else in it.

Dan N

Vultures feed on carrion. What you're contemplating is murder!

Salvatore

True,
You're more like a ,tempted to attacking, predator, cause this animal is still alive and capable of excessive kicking.

You cruel, sadistic, horrible, etc,etc,etc, puppy molester !!  :icon_cry: :icon_cry: :icon_cry:
(I know, this puppy is more like an old, slightly worn out man, but puppies tend to invite more sentimental responses.)

You can also choose to sell it back to ebay for 3 times as much as you payed for it, and just buy the parts you need new.

Anyway,,
Enjoy !!  :icon_cool:

punkin

Ernie Ball Music Man - JPM, THD Univalve, Grace Big Daddy, PepperShredder, BSIAB2, FireFly Amplifier.

Gregory Kollins

I try not to destroy useful things. Try to sell it. Parts are cheap.
And I get my vultch fix from the dumpster behind goodwill. Try it sometime.

superferrite

Yeah, it's (slightly) hard to tear apart things that work.

If something were to "happen" to it, it would be easier, if you know what I mean....

I am always waiting for the thrifts store stereos at work to die so I can mercilessly tear them to pieces!
Psychedelic Garage Metal

petemoore

Awhile back I scored a Peavy PGP-20 rackmounted pre-amp.
 What does it have to work with [components]?.
 It pre-amps, that's at least a good / common start.
 PV's good, there's probably an application for this thing as it stands..there may be something it does that you haven't uncovered, where/how it's applied in the signal chain etc...
 with something that works, I'll generally take a 1rst approach to it as something that can be 'bent' to do what I want it to.
 IOW keep the basic chain and power supply as it is and try to tweek it to something more or less close to what it was.
 It sometimes takes me a while to figure out where I could apply...whatever it is I have that has been caused to 'just sit', into...whatever it is it is caused to be a part of...lots of options, I've torn stuff up past the possibility of applying it to what I later thought would be it's best application.
 So as a possible approach standpoint, figureing out how much you can leave as-is can be good to have as a barometer in the mix of ideas.

Convention creates following, following creates convention.

punkin

Good points. Kinda what I was thinking. It's got effects insert, spring reverb and a number of ins/outs. Surfing for a schematic to have a "smarter" look at the possibilities.

panterica

A vulture? Ha ha.

Nah.. Peavey doesn't count.  ;)

If it were a working Mesa Boogie preamp, then it might be a different story..

Altec

Quote from: Gregory Kollins on April 11, 2009, 09:37:28 AM
And I get my vultch fix from the dumpster behind goodwill.

Interesting! I know what I'm doing monday!  :icon_razz:

punkin

I'm so relieved..I was worried an intevention was coming.

Gregory Kollins

Quote from: Altec on April 11, 2009, 08:00:25 PM
Interesting! I know what I'm doing monday!  :icon_razz:
It's a goldmine. When they get electronics, they plug them up, and if the lights don't come on they pitch it.
And panterica, I've played some GOOD peavys. Better than my fender deville, even.
Quote from: punkin on April 11, 2009, 11:02:31 PM
I'm so relieved..I was worried an intevention was coming.

Well, if you're going to destroy it, I have a suggestion. Get a whole bunch of really little nails or brads and take all the little cymballs off of a tamborine. slide them onto the nails or brads, two a piece, and make sure they won't fall off the non pointy end. Then pin them to the speaker cone. Record something and report back.