Pot Source in Canada

Started by sinisterguy, April 13, 2009, 09:28:22 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

sinisterguy

Does anyone know any electronics suppliers in Canada that sell good metal pots. The digikey catalogue seems to be filled with a bunch of plastic and long, skinny shafted models. Most of the digikey stuff seems to be really expensive for pots too. I'd rather not order from smallbear or any of the other suppliers in the us as I'd rather not deal with the current value of the dollar combined with customs. A local brick and mortar supplier would be even better. I live in the west end of the GTA.

Mark Hammer

If you're in the west end of the GTA, skidaddle over to the region of College and Spadina.  West of Spadina, on College, is Honson Electronics, (the former Supremetronic).  They sell the 16mm Alpha pots for 70 cents a pop (although who knows what the shifting dollar has done to that, but they were that price last time I checked within the past half year).  On the other side of Spadina, still on College, is Creatron.  They sell pots for a little more, but have a decent selection too.  Honson is now found deceptively inside a Home Hardware, of all places.  Honestly, if this place sold auto parts and ammo, in addition to electronic components and hardware, it would be the most masculine place on earth. :icon_lol:

kurtlives

Didn't see any Aphas at Honson last time I was there. Hmm maybe I wasnt looking hard enough.

You can also check out Electro Sonic.
My DIY site:
www.pdfelectronics.com

biggy boy

Hi
I thought pot came in a baggy not a metal can?

You could also try Salay Electronics. One of there super stores should work, they have lots of pots and everything else one would need........
I go to the Vaughan one.  It's very close to the Vaughan Mills Mall.
Here the link.
http://sayal.com/

This one Sayal's West end store, has about three or four other electronic stores in the same strip mall. It's like electronic components Utopia :icon_cool:
1350 Matheson Blvd.,
Units 3-6
Mississauga, Ontario
Canada L4W 4M1

Glen

superferrite

Canadian pot doesn't come in a metal can--that's Thai Stick.
Psychedelic Garage Metal

svstee

With your subject title, I'm quite surprised you got as many helpful responses as you did.

I have no clue, but free bump!

blanik

sinisterguy

LOL, I caught the title before I sent the post, but I thought it would be funnier if I just left it ambiguous.

Thanks for the info though. I think i'll check out the sayal plaza this weekend as I'm only about 15 minutes away from there. Honson sounds good too, especially if they're selling alpha pots for only 0.70, or anywhere near that. Next time i'm downtown, I'll definitely have to stop there on my way back from active surplus.

kurtlives

ewwww Active Surplus

Only go to that place if I am in a real pinch.
My DIY site:
www.pdfelectronics.com

biggy boy

Quote from: kurtlives on April 13, 2009, 09:17:17 PM
ewwww Active Surplus

Only go to that place if I am in a real pinch.

Why??
Don't you like damaged and broken stuff?? :icon_smile:

megadan

I got all the parts for my builds at http://www.a1parts.ca in Toronto
I was pretty impressed - they have absolutely every single thing for pedal building except 3PDTs. Much larger than most guitar pedal oriented websites, but smaller than digikey/mouser type sites.

Shipping was pretty quick too.

BBBBBri

A1 is a CRAZY store - floor to ceiling of old surplus electronic stuff. Totally random, hardly any organization whatsoever. Lots of big old transformers! if I ever do a tube project I'll be shopping there. My main store is Supremetronics, then Sayals in Scarborough

Wales

Hey great to hear of other Torontonians on the forum. I hear there are two other electronic parts stores near Sayal (Mississauga) but i haven't been so i don't know.

Quote from: kurtlives on April 13, 2009, 10:32:28 AM
Didn't see any Aphas at Honson last time I was there. Hmm maybe I wasnt looking hard enough.
I don't know what Aphas pots are but the pots are in the drawers just south of the capacitors, and a few more below the cash register.

Not to try and take over the post, but I was hoping someone had a good connection for project boxes near Toronto. Active surplus doesn't have anything worth the price on it and Honsen mostly has plastic. I haven't been to A1 yet but i just got a job near there so one lunch hour soon. ;D

like "sinisterguy" i would rather not pay shipping if i can avoid it, especially considering I am looking for metal boxes. Shop locally :)

biggy boy

The Mississauga location has:

Active Tech
1350 Matheson Blvd. Unit 2
(905) 238-8825
www.active123.com

RTC Electronics
1350 Matheson Blvd. Unit 10A
(905) 624-9986
www.rtcemall.com

AA Electronics
1350 Matheson Blvd. Unit 8
(905) 206-0931

Sayal Electronics
1350 Matheson Blvd. Units 3-4
(905) 238-8640
www.sayal.com

The Vaughan store has about 15 to 20 different styles sizes of plastic and metal boxes.
The typical stomp type metal box was around $18.00 I think??

kurtlives

Electrosonic has all kinds of hammond enclosures.
My DIY site:
www.pdfelectronics.com

davent

Quote from: sinisterguy on April 13, 2009, 09:28:22 AM
Does anyone know any electronics suppliers in Canada that sell good metal pots. The digikey catalogue seems to be filled with a bunch of plastic and long, skinny shafted models. Most of the digikey stuff seems to be really expensive for pots too. I'd rather not order from smallbear or any of the other suppliers in the us as I'd rather not deal with the current value of the dollar combined with customs. A local brick and mortar supplier would be even better. I live in the west end of the GTA.

Hi,
I too live on the western fringes of the GTA, level a couple houses and i can see the Skydome and CN Tower from my backdoor but, it's way, way more cost effective for me to pay shipping and exchange and get parts from Small Bear then to make a trip into the big city just for parts. A Digikey order, $8cdn shipping and a Small Bear order (very reasonable shipping) are still a better deal, Digikey is offering free shipping on orders over $200 cdn, that'll get you 20 or so made in Canada PEC pots and maybe a few Guelph made Hammond enclosures (at a better price from my experience then you'll get them for around here ) although last order had some EU made Hammonds.  When i am in Toronto I do make a point of getting to Honson (much to the delight of my wife and daughter) it's a great source for many things! (but not everything)  When there last, a few weeks ago, the pots they had in stock had a long splined shaft (longer then on previous stock) and PCB solder lugs rather then eyelets, both features i wasn't interested in so didn't buy any. Small Bear has the pots i like and a great selection of knobs so i'll source them all there.

Like Chris said, Electrosonic (there's a Toronto store) carries Hammond boxes, there's a small independent retailer near me that has Hammond boxes but both these soures are comparatively expensive. A cheap source for Hammond products is Tip Top in Winnipeg, (for when you need transformers and boxes for the tube amp you'll be building down the line.) http://www.tiptopelectronics.com/ Haven't checked Electrosonic for pots but in an old catalogue i have they do show PEC pots. On Mark's suggestion i'll be checking out Creatron in the Honson neighbourhood, next time i'm into Toronto.

Take care,
dave
"If you always do what you always did- you always get what you always got." - Unknown
https://chrome.google.com/webstore/detail/photobucket-hotlink-fix/kegnjbncdcliihbemealioapbifiaedg

Wales

Great info everyone. Seems that we are pretty lucky to have all the stores around that we do. I am very happy to learn about somenew stores, not so sure my wallet shares the same sentiment but. I was going to bike over to honsen today for some stuff, and now I am definitely checkin Creatron. I have sat in the Tim Hortons across the street from it a hundred times and never gone in, today that will change. Thanks again and good luck with those builds.