best rebote ??

Started by 1878, April 13, 2009, 02:15:23 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Hello Everyone...

I've read different opinions on the various versions of the Rebote Delay. Which one do you prefer and why ?? Also, what mods (if any) would you suggest ??

Thanks in advance.

Nitefly182

For PT2399 delays it seems like the Magnus Modulus has the most going on.

jefe

I've breadboarded the Rebote 2.5, then I built the Rebote 2. Now I kinda wish I had stuck with the 2.5. To my ears, the repeats sound clearer and more crisp. The 2 is fine, you could say it sounds a bit more like an analog delay (?). But if I build another Rebote (and I probably will), it will be the 2.5.

blanik

Quote from: jefe on April 13, 2009, 03:08:38 PM
I've breadboarded the Rebote 2.5, then I built the Rebote 2. Now I kinda wish I had stuck with the 2.5. To my ears, the repeats sound clearer and more crisp. The 2 is fine, you could say it sounds a bit more like an analog delay (?). But if I build another Rebote (and I probably will), it will be the 2.5.

i've never heard the 1 and 2 but from what i read from Francisco Pena, the Rebote "1" is almost the exact "demo circuit" from the manufacturer's datasheet, the 2 was his first mod to make it sound more "analog" i.e. darkening the repeats a bit and the 2.5 was darkening the repeats but more and more by each repeat, to really nail the tape echo sound (he quite succeeded for such a simple circuit, the only problem is the wet signal is a little quiet when level is at max (specially when playing live with a band) but can be fixed by lowering the 33k resistor that goes to lug 2 of the level pot to 15k-20k)

Mick Bailey

I built a Rebote 2, but with the 2.5 caps and it sounds pretty good on short to medium delays. Longer delays introduce a lot of noise and the quality degenerates quickly on the repeats, which is pretty much down to the delay chip.

I think I'll build v2.5. it's maximum delay time is 600ms isn't it ?? Also, am I right in thinking the repeats can be cleaned up with a couple of cap changes ??

doc_drop

I built the Rebote 2.5 a few weeks back. I like it a lot. I also played with the delay pot to get a longer delay time than stock. The caps filter out some noise, but the PT2399 just gets nasty sounding at longer delays. In order to use longish delays, I take the level pot way down. I can get some darkish long delays like that. They are fine on distorted tones, but clean ones aren't great at long delay times.

In any case, the Rebote 2.5 is a very good sounding pedal. I have a lot of fun combining it with the Clari(not) I just built. Crazy pitched double tap delays...

soggybag

I built a few Rebote 2s and they seem to work fine. No complaints.

oldrocker

I've built the 2.5 and the Princeton Rebote at tonepad.  I like the original Rebote.  It does a nice job especially for slapback echo.

dubiousss

i ordered 3 2399 chips and built the 2.5 right away, now ive just breadboarded the rebote 1 and i prefer it, much cleaner, im not sure about this analog 'quality' it just sounds like tone suck, though i do love tape echo the 2.5 doesnt do this, tomorow ill swap some bits to make it a v2 and see, will also look into the echo base etc

Duff

dubiousss: do you have the rebote 1 schematic? Or anyone else? Thanks.

edd101

...it is always funny until someone gets hurt!!!