32PDT...Ideas

Started by Vitrolin, April 14, 2009, 07:54:12 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Vitrolin

hey
i have gotten my hands on a 32PDT switch,  :o it´s rotary.
and i wonder if anyone have an idea for it´s use, i bought it for the enclosure where it came.

sjaltenb

hmm.

can you set it up with 32 different commonly used resistors, caps or something else, in order to use the switch as a tester?

like this:

https://amptechtools.powweb.com/subs.htm

?

Vitrolin

almost...
it's 32 SPDT in one, working simultaneous
Quote from: sjaltenb on April 14, 2009, 07:59:24 PM
hmm.

can you set it up with 32 different commonly used resistors, caps or something else, in order to use the switch as a tester?

like this:

https://amptechtools.powweb.com/subs.htm

?

allthough it would be very nice as a tone control/tone booster

JKowalski

Let me know what you find.

I recently did the exact same thing - bought a little switchy device for the enclosure.

Remember - 35PDT means that you have two different switching options (like an SPDT, on/on) but it switches 35 SPDT's at the same time. I don't think they are very useful for much!

27P4T!

Nitefly182

Turning on a massive amount of leds at one time.

km-r

Look at it this way- everyone rags on air guitar here because everyone can play guitar.  If we were on a lawn mower forum, air guitar would be okay and they would ridicule air mowing.

andrew_k

Quote from: Nitefly182 on April 14, 2009, 10:43:19 PM
Turning on a massive amount of leds at one time.

The potential implications are near endless! Everything from watch making, to watch repair 

Andi

I s'pose you're limited by those two throws.

But you could have it switch an enormous number of components in one pedal...

jacobyjd

Actually, yesterday I was brainstorming over what I want to have as features for my 8-step sequenced wah/tremolo project, and I thought, "Geez, it would be nice to be able to switch between two sets of parameters (i.e. have a switch to use a completely different set of 8 parameter control pots).

With your 32PDT switch, you could do this for a 16-step sequencer :) An analog means of switching loop presets!  :icon_biggrin:
Warsaw, Indiana's poetic love rock band: http://www.bellwethermusic.net

MikeH

I have a couple of these that I pulled out of data switch boxes (I'm guessing that's where you got this one).  I have'nt been able to conjure up a use for them.  In fact, if anyone wants to buy one off of me just pm me.  I have one 2-way and one 4-way.
"Sounds like a Fab Metal to me." -DougH

chi_boy

You could use it to switch between 2 similar projects that use different values for parts on a common board. Dynacomp / Ross comp and DOD 250 / Distortion+ switching are 2 that come to mind.  I'm sure there are more.
"Great minds discuss ideas, average minds discuss events, small minds discuss people." — Admiral Hyman G. Rickover - 1900-1986

The Leftover PCB Page

SonicVI

I don't even want to imagine the nightmare wiring a 32 pole switch would be.

JKowalski

Quote from: MikeH on April 15, 2009, 11:20:58 AM
I have a couple of these that I pulled out of data switch boxes (I'm guessing that's where you got this one).  I have'nt been able to conjure up a use for them.  In fact, if anyone wants to buy one off of me just pm me.  I have one 2-way and one 4-way.

Yeah, that's where they come from. Nice enclosures, for sure!

Jacob, thats actually a good idea, especially with a four throw like mine. Might have to look into that someday, if I even decide do build anything like that.

Nitefly182

Quote from: Andi on April 15, 2009, 03:08:52 AM
I s'pose you're limited by those two throws.

But you could have it switch an enormous number of components in one pedal...

Triangle to Ram head muff. Previously impossible.