Stompbox advise

Started by scottjge, April 16, 2009, 09:19:27 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

scottjge

Hi, my name is Glenn and I am new to the forum and was wondering if someone could give me some sound advise. I have been playing guitar for almost 40 years and have never been able to afford Marshall amp ( the amp of my dreams), and since I had a stroke about 6 months ago it looks like I will never own one now. I would like to build a stompbox that sounds as close as I can get to one, if that is even possible. I realize that a stompbox will never replace nor sound like an actual JCM800 but I would like to get something that is close.

SO my question to you stompbox gods is ;  Has anyone had any experience in trying to emulate a JCM 800 ? I have found some schematics on the web that are suppose to emulate a JCM 800 but they have no sound clips to see if they really do sound anything near a JCM. I have built, and bought some stompboxes that claim that they emulate the 800 but they are not even close. Any ideas, advise, sound clips or schematics of any stompbox that is close would be greatly appreciated. Anyone with any help or suggestion  my email me at my personal email or leave a message hear.

Thank you so much for your time,
scottjge
Glenn S

jefe

Hi, and welcome Scott! I don't have any experience with Marshall emulators - yet - but I hope to build & experiment a bit at some point.

Just curious, which pedals have you already built and bought? And which schematics on the web are you referring to?

Also, what kind of guitar are you using, and perhaps more importantly, what kind of amp are you going in to?

DougH

What kind of guitar and amp are you using? That will help narrow it down.

Edit: Oops... Jeff already asked that... :icon_redface:
"I can explain it to you, but I can't understand it for you."

scottjge

Thanks for your reply. I have had a Gov'nor 2 Plus which was suppose to be like the JCM 800 but the crunch was for like a Peavey.  The local music store saleman talked me into a few no name brands of junk that didn't even sound close either, but then again they don't carry Marshall amps so maybe he doesn't know what one sound like. I have built an stompbox called "Eighteen" that a friend gave me a schematic for. This one was close but lacked definition. It sounded more like a marshall than anything that I tried but just didn't do the JCM 800 thing. I have tried Rocktron stompboxes, Boss, I have had a POD II, and a POD XT that I bought second hand, the closest that I have ever come to the sound was a Vox SE Tonelab that a buddy of mine had.

I have a Schecter Classic C1 plus, and a ESP EC-1000 , and my amps are Crate Power Block, Peavey Classic 50, and a Peavey Delta Blues. I guess you know what my local music store carries for amp now.LOL The peavey amps have some good distortion for certain kinds of music but that can't do any of the heavier stuff. Since I had the stroke I sit here and am learning some Metallica, Nickelback, Default, and 3 Doors Down and the Peavey just ain't cutting it.

Thanks again for you reply.
Glenn
Glenn S

MohiZ

I made this and it sounded very nice through the clean channel of my Mesa/Boogie F-30, which was a 30 watt tube amp. Specifically, I'm referring to Erik's schematic (link on page), and I omitted the tone stack on mine. This is still just a distortion box, though, and bear in mind, I haven't actually played a real Marshall JCM800.

http://www.erikhansen.net/?page_id=36

scottjge

Thanks for the link, I will go over and take a look at it .

Thanks.
Glenn S

jefe

The BSIAB2 is supposed to do the cranked Marshall sound, but in more of an early Van Halen kind of way... so I'm not sure if that will give you what you're after.

scottjge

I don't tend to be stupid but what is a BSIAB2 ? If it has a good Marshal like distortion, that is all that I am after.

I checked out that link that Mohiz gave me, it looks like a good project, I just wish they had a sound clip before I spend more money on parts.

I will see if I can find info on a BSIAB2.

Thanks for the info.
Glenn S

Baktown

Very good question.  I too have always lusted after the famed JCM 800 sound, I actually had one for about a week until financial circumstances (read divorce) forced me to sell it to stay alive.  I have to be honest though, it didn't sound like what I expected.  I guess they need to be hot rodded to get the "big" Marshall sound.

Scottjge, I commend you for having such a great attitude in the face of your adversity, you're truly an inspiration to everyone here.  Keep on rocking!

Rick J

jefe

slideman82

I'm working in something that's got the sound you're looking for, I think these days I'm gonna finish it... and I'm talking about real Marshall sound (from plexi to JCM). when I finish it, I'll send you the pcb and layout.  :icon_biggrin:

Which guitar do you play?
Hey! Turk-&-J.D.! And J.D.!

scottjge

I went up on youtube and they had a sound clip of the BSIAB2. Not bad, not bad at all. It sure as hell sounds better than anything that I have now.  :icon_biggrin:

Thanks, but my attitude isn't much different than anyone elses. I have always liked music, even if I can't play that well, and I will always play my guitar. I have been in bands most of my life and just retired last year. My last gig was July 4th of last year and then I had some unexpected medical problems and have been getting back on feet ever since. Keep your music close to you, it is the best therapy you will ever find. Even at 55 years old, I would love to be a rock star. I love some of the new music  and would love to learn how to play it. All use rock stars stick together so you guys keep on rocking too !
Glenn S

scottjge

Wow, thanks slideman82. That is awful generous of you. If there is anything that I can do for you let me know. Woooooaw I am so excited my guitar is horizontal !  Just kidding!

I mostly play the ESP now. I played the Schecter in a band that I started 10 years ago and had the name of the band inlayed on the 12 fret. So I thought it was time to retire it and keep it for a keep sake to hand down to my grandson. Ya watch, he'll turn out to be a drummer ! :icon_rolleyes: LOL

Thanks for the replies,
Glenn
Glenn S

DougH

This is kind of off-topic in a way but it's another possible alternative if you can't afford the vintage Marshall (who can?). You could buy a Peavey Windsor and mod it. Musician's Friend is blowing them out with a 4x12 cab for $400. It's all tube 100W with 4 EL34's. Out of the box it will get you part of the way there to JCM800-land. But with a few mods it can really sound killer. I posted the mods I did in a Windsor thread in the lounge. It's a PCB amp and the insides are very accessible and it's easy to work on. The mods I posted are fairly easy- subbing components and adding a few jumpers.

This will get you the real pants-flapping marshall tone better than any pedal, IMO, without completely busting your bank account.
"I can explain it to you, but I can't understand it for you."

panterica

One of the "magical" things about the JCM-800 has a lot to do with the tubes cranked all the way through a lot of speakers.

It's not meant to be a Marshall sound-alike, but the DieFET project should put you in that beautiful/nasty hi-gain territory that's perfect for Metallica's sound. James Hetfield and Kirk Hammett both apparently use them.

Check it out:

http://www.diystompboxes.com/smfforum/index.php?topic=70800.0

EDIT:

By "them" I mean Diezel amps. Not the DieFET pedal designed to sound like the amps.

liquids

Another vote for tinkering with a BSIAB circuit.  I think it's 'all' in there if you mod to taste!  It's better than amp-like distortion...lots of amp 'channel 2', as you mentioned, don't sound that great, and/or get one decent sound take it or leave it. 
A great circuit with smiple building blocks, for learning how to tweak and mod to taste.

The BSIAB is a great starting point for Marshall type of crunch. 

Heck, with tweaks, I've found it can be jangly and voxy, and dumble-y, and Metal-y and... 
Breadboard it!

scottjge

Yup, sound really nice. Now I have another problem, so far they all sound pretty good, which one do I choose to built ? :icon_eek:
Glenn S

soggybag

I don't own a Marshall or consider myself an expert on the sound. That said, I have built the BSIAB II and I think it sounds very Marshall like. The sound is very Rock 'n' Roll in a Van Halen AC/DC way.

scottjge

Ahhhhhh AC/DC ! Love that sound and that music. I play all the AC/DC that I can. Just wish I could find someone to sing it. I will admit the BSIAB2 is looking pretty good and so does the DieFET! I am still pondering which one that I would want to build. I would also like to hear that stompbox that slideman82 is working on. Then I think I will make a decision.

Ya know I have to make a comment. This has got to be the friendliest and most helpful group that I have ever run across. You guys are great !

Keep Rockin'
Glenn S

Have a look at the Krank Distortus Maximus...

Video: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xqKCjzOAePM
Layout: http://www.aronnelson.com/gallery/main.php/v/mnordbye/layouts/Krank+Distortus+Maximus.gif.html

I'll be building this one myself in the not too distant future. Seems like a nice 'all rounder' if you know what I mean. The bass/mid/treble controls may help you to dial in your sound too.

On the subject of Marshall amps, I've been lucky enough to own a 100w Super Lead and a non-Marshall, Celestion loaded angled top 4x12 since I was 18. I'm 34 now (where did the time go ??) but I've only used the dirty channel once !! I tried it in rehearsal one day when I left my Hyper-Fuzz at home. It wasn't a very pleasing sound to be honest, but, now that I've got the D.I.Y bug, I'm thinking of building myself an old-school booster to stick in front of it and find out what all the hype is about.

Best of luck.