Switch Jack Inquiry

Started by Wall of Fuzz, May 29, 2021, 11:26:45 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Wall of Fuzz

I'm getting a buzzing/whirling sound with the pedal I built, the potentiometers reacts accordingly to the buzzing/whirling sound. The volume controls the loudness, the tone shapes the tone of the buzzing/whirling, the sustain controls the texture of the buzzing/whirling. I tried tracing the connections with an exact-o knife to make there is no unwanted connections. Tried snapping a battery to see if it will change it and someone from another forum said that I'm using a switch jack since everytime I put a male jack in the input socket, it shuts down the pedal. Could this be the reason why my pedal is buzzing or whirling? If so, can I use the switch jack in replacement to normally used jacks. Thank you so much.

antonis

Hi & Welcome.. :icon_wink:

Judging from board solder side, you have to be proud for getting any kind of sound,,
"I'm getting older while being taught all the time" Solon the Athenian..
"I don't mind  being taught all the time but I do mind a lot getting old" Antonis the Thessalonian..

iainpunk

welcome to the forum,

i strongly doubt the issue is with a switching jack.
does it do what its supposed to do next to this whizzing? does it deliver any guitar related sounds at all or is it just whirring/buzzing?
i suggest you look at this link:debugging guide

cheers, Iain
friendly reminder: all holes are positive and have negative weight, despite not being there.

cheers

Wall of Fuzz

Quote from: antonis on May 29, 2021, 02:38:38 PM
Hi & Welcome.. :icon_wink:

Judging from board solder side, you have to be proud for getting any kind of sound,,

Re: Please excuse me for my poor solder job, it's my first time hahaha. Thank you!

Wall of Fuzz

Quote from: iainpunk on May 29, 2021, 06:47:32 PM
welcome to the forum,

i strongly doubt the issue is with a switching jack.
does it do what its supposed to do next to this whizzing? does it deliver any guitar related sounds at all or is it just whirring/buzzing?
i suggest you look at this link:debugging guide

cheers, Iain

I only get buzzing and whirling sounds. The build seems unusable due to the buzzing and whirling. I can hear any audible fuzz when I strum the guitar. Will definitely check that debugging section out. Thank you so much for linking it here.