Spice Analysis of Tube Screamer - Frequency Response

Started by aziltz, April 16, 2009, 05:29:30 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Brymus

I really like this thread thanks to the OP for all the work and documentation  :icon_cool:
Gave me some better idea of what mods I want to try,ect

FWIW my TS clone has the W taper tone control,which I like better than an A or B taper.
Still I use it with the tone maxed and the gain maxed,and it has a 1M gain pot in place of 500K
While I like the tone control for taming the highs on single coils(like previously mentioned),with HBs it stays on max rotation.
I often wonder if it would be better with another tonecontrol,or even a TMB but then it wouldnt really be a TS anymore.
I'm no EE or even a tech,just a monkey with a soldering iron that can read,and follow instructions. ;D
My now defunct band http://www.facebook.com/TheZedLeppelinExperience

ThermionicScott

*Necro-bump*

Finding this thread a couple months ago gave me something to do with my dusty old TS-5.  As predicted, replacing C4 with 0.15uF and C5 with 0.1uF worked to extend the frequency response in both directions, making the pedal sound a little more natural/neutral.  Replacing the 51k resistor (R3) with a 33k reduced the extra gain from that mod.  (I do like being able to achieve a clean tone at the bottom end of the gain control on overdrives.)

One thing I really dig about my Blackstone is that I don't need to turn down a tone control at higher gain settings to keep the treble in check.  The Tube Screamer's 51pF feedback cap (C3, 47pF in my pedal) is too small to do much except quell oscillation, so it strikes me as a wasted opportunity to do that sort of thing.  I bumped mine up to 150pF, and it's nearly perfect at allowing clear low-gain sounds and smooth high-gain sounds.  It became a goal to be able to leave the tone control at noon, but 1 o'clock still sounded best.  So I replaced R6 with 900Ω to extend the high-end corner frequency a tiny bit more, and now that goal is achieved.

So thank you @aziltz, wherever you are.  It was a fun sequence of mods, and I actually like this pedal a lot more now.  :icon_cool:

"...the IMD products will multiply like bacteria..." -- teemuk

iainpunk

glad to read that mods worked out well, i always like success stories.

i really want to buy a real Ibanez ts-9 or other version in an original green box which says 'tube screamer', and then mod the circuit to become a Swedish chainsaw. [insert evil laughter]

cheers
friendly reminder: all holes are positive and have negative weight, despite not being there.

cheers