GGG Orange Squezzer 1N100 Diode???

Started by dave neuleib, April 25, 2009, 08:00:27 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

dave neuleib

I am building the GGG Orange Squezzer and need help finding a replacement for the IN100 Germanium Diode. I ordered parts a long time ago and when I sorted them for this project I can't find the IN100. I have a IN 270,IN 914, IN 4148, IN 1588 --- are any of these similiar enough to replace the IN 100. Thanks for your time and help.

aziltz

Quote from: dave neuleib on April 25, 2009, 08:00:27 PM
I am building the GGG Orange Squezzer and need help finding a replacement for the IN100 Germanium Diode. I ordered parts a long time ago and when I sorted them for this project I can't find the IN100. I have a IN 270,IN 914, IN 4148, IN 1588 --- are any of these similiar enough to replace the IN 100. Thanks for your time and help.

I believe the 1n100 was used because its Germanium, so any Ge Diode will work, like the common 1n34a.  I'm currently mucking around with the OS, trying to make it into an overdrive.  I used a 1n914/1n4148 Silicon for now, to get the effect on breadboard.  It works fine, but I think the compression will be more dramatic with any Ge type, because of the lower voltage drop.  I just don't have 1n34a's at the moment.

oldrocker

Yes when I orginally built the OS I only had a 4148 SI diode.  I thought it sounded OK.  But after I replaced it with the 1n34a GE the compressor really worked like I knew it should.  I would highly recommend the GE diode if you can get it.

dave neuleib

Am I correct in the assumption that none of the diodes I have are germanium??

aziltz

Quote from: dave neuleib on April 25, 2009, 11:53:11 PM
Am I correct in the assumption that none of the diodes I have are germanium??

the 914 and 4148 are Si, but I'm not familiar with the others.

dave neuleib

I see on an old post that a IN34A and a IN270 are interchangeable on a MXR boost pedal. This leads me to believe the 270 might be a GE by the way they talk about it. Any body else know for sure???

Scruffie

dave neuleib

Thanks for the response guys!! I looked at the specs for the IN34A, IN100A, and IN270 at the datasheet website. All test conditions vary so it's hard to compare all three to the exact same spec. They all differ somewhat in voltage, average rectified forward current, voltage drop, reverse leakage, etc. What I would guess from looking at data is if the IN34A is an adequate replacement for the IN100, I would guess the IN270 is also?? Has anybody tried these SmallBear IN270's in an Orange Squezzer?? Also does anybody know what the A designates after the 100 and 34??  Let me know.  Thanks  Dave

Mark Hammer

The key aspect of the diode is that it have a low forward voltage.  It does NOT have any role in the tone, other than by virtue of permitting the FET to be controlled at an earlier point in the rise time of the input signal and up to a later point in the decay cycle.    If you have a meter and a bunch of GE diodes, select the one with the lowest forward voltage.  So, 219mv is a bit better than 265mv.  Other than that, it doesn't matter which GE you use.

dave neuleib

Thanks Mark. I also found a wealth of information under the listing Orange Squeezer. I can't imagine there were only 2 or 3 other idiots that spell it Orange Squezzer(DUH) like me. In reading the data sheets for "Peak Forward Surge Current Repetive"the IN100=250mA and the IN34A=200mA. The IN270 does not list this function but the"Average Rectified Forward Current"=40mA and the"Peak Operating Current"=325mA. The "forward Voltage Drop" for IN100=40mA, IN34A=5.0mA, and the IN270=200mA. All this being said do these figures tell anybody what the "forward voltage" is on these diodes. I am confused by the way they list data and use different terminology. Anyway I will try and check the forward voltage across my IN270's. I will update.   Thanks  Dave

Mark Hammer

The typical forward voltage (i.e., the minimum voltage that must be exceeded for current to flow through the diode) for a Germanium diode is around a quarter of a volt (250mv), where the typical forward voltage of a silicon diode is around a half volt (500mv).  IN reality, measured forward voltage can be different from this and vary over a range.  When I pull GE diodes from the parts drawer, they can sometimes be below 200mv and sometimes over 270mv. 

My datasheets for 1N270 and 1N34a diodes indicate a maximum forward voltage (Vf) of 1 volt, but that is highly atypical of GE diodes.  Ignore the datasheets in this instance, and use your meter.  If it has a diode-measuring function (one of the resistance-measuring ranges on mine), simply select the one that is lowest from the diodes you have.  Doesn't really matter which part number; just aim low.

dave neuleib

I guess you guys probably saw this one coming long ago but---I have a Sperry DM-6450 test meter-- when I check the IN270 voltage it reads max of 206.something then starts to drop. The other one reads 325 then starts to drop.  What am I reading??? My tester is set to the diode function symbol but reads in K resistance for these readings. It has a mV setting but I can't get any readings that make any sense at these settings. Thanks  Dave

aziltz

i suppose you could put it (diode) in series with a resistor, and apply 9V and check the voltage drop across the diode?

I'm wondering why it wouldn't be that simple to get the forward conducting voltage.  All those fancy DMM functions confuse me, I can never get them to work.  All I need is voltage and resistance, and maybe capacitance eventually.

dave neuleib

I guess is that what I am actually measuring is the resistance required to overcome this diode and then it starts to conduct???? Make any sense??

Mark Hammer

I won't go into the details, largely because I don't understand them myself, but suffice to say that when measuring diodes, even though the meter is on a resistance setting, you interpret the reading as if it were millivolts.  Which means that the 1N270 measurng 206 is the one you want.

dave neuleib

Project completed with an IN270 diode and I will verify this is smooth voiced compressor and I am pleasantly suprised by the tone you can dial in with this pedal. Thanks again for your help.   Dave

aziltz

Quote from: dave neuleib on April 28, 2009, 10:42:33 PM
Project completed with an IN270 diode and I will verify this is smooth voiced compressor and I am pleasantly suprised by the tone you can dial in with this pedal. Thanks again for your help.   Dave

thanks for sharing Dave!  I need to pickup some Ge Diodes to finish my tweaked design.  I added an opamp, doubled the gain stage post attenuation and added some controls to make it a compressor/low gain overdrive.  still tweaking, but it sounds very promising!