Tremulus Lune - BIG Switch Pop

Started by Slade, April 27, 2009, 12:01:45 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Slade

Hello.
Well, I've been debugging for a long time a BIG switch pop on a Tremulus Lune that I made. I'm using a vactec VTL5C3, TL072 Opamps for LFO and Audio Path. One thing I've noticed is that I'm getting 0.3v at the IN of the circuit when it's on.
I have changed the IN and OUT resistors from 1M to 510k and to 4M and the problem persists equally.
Also I wanted to ask how important is the voltaje of the electrolytic caps in this project?

Thank you very much for your answers ;)
Greetings.

tempus

The voltage of the caps needs to be at least as high as the voltage they will be blocking or passing. So if there's 4.5v that needs to be blocked you need at least a 5v cap to do the job. 300mv sitting at the in of the circuit (I'm assuming this is the guitar in) is going to cause a pretty big pop. I would check to make sure the cap is OK.

Slade

Thanks,
I'm using 25v caps, so I figured that "the excess" of voltage could be a bad factor with this problem.

tempus

I wouldnt think so. All the 25v rating means is that if you hit it with more than 25v it can fail (or blow up). It's probably not a bad idea to overspec your caps a little bit anyway, to give a bit of a safety margin.

Slade

So, I can't figure out this problem, it's driving me crazy!!!!!!!

tempus

If you've got 300mv sitting on your input, it would make sense that that cap is leaky. Have you tried substituting another?

Slade

Thanks, tempus.
Yes, I have.. I tried other values there too, but nothing works ???
I had this problem once before and it was solved by simply changing the opamps to low noise opamps.. Now it doesn't work  :icon_rolleyes:

R.G.

Mother Nature is whispering in your ear.

If you have 300mv on the input, the voltage is coming from somewhere. Try taking your input capacitor OUT. Measure now. Is the 300mV still there?

If not, then the current to make that 300mV was coming through the cap. That means that the cap is faulty or put in the circuit backwards.

If the 300mVis still there, then the cap is OK and something else is leaking.
R.G.

In response to the questions in the forum - PCB Layout for Musical Effects is available from The Book Patch. Search "PCB Layout" and it ought to appear.

Slade