How can I sub for a .05 cap?

Started by sevenisthenumber, April 27, 2009, 05:19:03 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

sevenisthenumber

What are some options for making some other caps work for a.05 metal film?

svstee

Not totally sure what you are asking, but two .1 uf caps in series or two .022 uf caps in parallel will both be close enough.

frequencycentral

0.047 is close enough and a 'regular' value.
http://www.frequencycentral.co.uk/

Questo è il fiore del partigiano morto per la libertà!

kurtlives

My DIY site:
www.pdfelectronics.com

sevenisthenumber

its for an output wah buffer input cap.

svstee

Do you have a .047 uf cap (same as 47 nf)? If so, use that. If not,
Quote from: svstee on April 27, 2009, 05:22:50 PMtwo .1 uf caps in series or two .022 uf caps in parallel will both be close enough.

brett

Hi
all caps have a fairly wide tolerance.
Tolerance is the odd work that manufacturers use to describe their inability to make capacitors with exact values.  I suppose it relates to the consumer's and circuit's tolerance to take inexact values.
Anyway, even high quality MKT film caps have a tolerance of 5 or 10%.  So 0.05 uF plus or minus 10% is a range from 0.045 to 0.055 uF.  With older caps and and electrolytic caps the tolerance can be much more than 10%  (e.g. -20% +80% for many electrolytic caps).
Most people design circuits with this in mind, and don't expect tight tolerances.  For example, you'll almost always see film caps specified for filters in the audio range, as an electrolytic cap at the high end of its tolerance might cause the cut-off frequency to be almost an octave (+80%) too high.
cheers   
Brett Robinson
Let a hundred flowers bloom, let a hundred schools of thought contend. (Mao Zedong)