Other Chips For a RAT Circuit?

Started by sevenisthenumber, April 27, 2009, 11:34:52 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

sevenisthenumber

I just wanna get opinions on some other options for the RAT ic other than the run of the mill LMN308. Let me know your thoughts!

petemoore

I've heard of people using an LM741 [as in Dist+], but the chip in the Rats is a compensated type. There's a HF compensation point in the chip and you choose the HF rolloff point with cap value across the relevant pins [IIRC,...pins 1 and 8].
  There might be one or two other chips [LM358 ?] you could check on to determine if they're compensated.
   The 308 is really the 'RAT's choice though.
Convention creates following, following creates convention.

DougH

TL070, different pinout than LM308
"I can explain it to you, but I can't understand it for you."

Gus

People have tried other singles be aware of the comp pins as noted above and changes you might have to make

petemoore

Let me know your thoughts!
  Have you tried a Distortion Plus lately ?
  I like the 'raggedy ol' 741 circuit, [DOD250 ?], the diagram is pretty straightforeward considering there is plenty of talk around the gain knob and relevant cap/resistors involved with the gain/voicing of the circuit [the rest of it is pretty simple...make this value bigger and X goes up].
   But tweeking it in...HF taming control [you really don't need it if you're always using it through the same amp / same room /same volume], simply adding a pot and cap to ground...very useful item for me...I spent forever re-working the circuit before figureing out to put a tone knob on where the cap across the diodes was.

Convention creates following, following creates convention.

WGTP

NE5534 is popular.  Jack Orman at AMZ uses it.  I thought the TL070 had the same pin out.  I have used both and the NE5532 seems a little sweeter...   :icon_cool:
Stomping Out Sparks & Flames

sevenisthenumber

How can that cap be adjusted to compensate? I never knew what it did!?

aron

You need to lift that cap to use other op amps. The info is all over the web.

sevenisthenumber

Quote from: aron on April 28, 2009, 12:29:43 PM
You need to lift that cap to use other op amps. The info is all over the web.

thanks Aaron. I hate to bug but I cant seem to find that info....?

Is this why with certain chips i get oscillation and motor boating after the gain knob is over 80%?

Mark Hammer

LM748 is a possibility.  It is a chip similar to the LM308 in a number of characteristics.

slacker

It's not a chip but Joe Davisson's discrete opamp sounds great in a RAT type circuit.

aron

>There's a HF compensation point in the chip and you choose the HF rolloff point with cap value across the relevant pins [IIRC,...pins 1 and 8].

30pf cap.

aron

I made this last night for the discrete op amp. Untested maybe someone can find mistakes in it. I want to try it on some pedals I have.

http://www.diystompboxes.com/smfforum/index.php?topic=76066.0

slacker

frank_p

Quote from: aron on April 28, 2009, 03:04:25 PM
I made this last night for the discrete op amp. Untested maybe someone can find mistakes in it. I want to try it on some pedals I have.

http://www.diystompboxes.com/smfforum/index.php?topic=76066.0

Oh ! I wondered what your post was about...  Now it's more clear.  Perhaps you should put a note in the topic because some who will stumble on it will not understand what it is about.

What did Joe Davidson used it for ?

StephenGiles

"I want my meat burned, like St Joan. Bring me pickles and vicious mustards to pierce the tongue like Cardigan's Lancers.".

aron

Frank, it's cool. It gives your pedal a different sound entirely. You use it to sub for a single op amp. Like in my Shaka Pedals.

Read about it here:

http://www.diystompboxes.com/analogalchemy/sch/diodeopamp.html

aron

frank_p

WGTP

I'm no expert, but it looks like the LM308, NE5534 and TL070 all have the same pin out with the compensation cap at pins 1 and 8.   :icon_cool:
Stomping Out Sparks & Flames