stupid n00b ds-1 question(s)

Started by thereverend, April 30, 2009, 03:14:48 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

thereverend

alright so here goes...

i picked up a ds-1 today since i've read so much about how easy they are to mod, plus the sheer amount of mods available make it seem like an extremely dynamic test bed for learning how to do a bunch of different stuff mod-wise. also i've never owned a ds-1 since i've always gone with muffs and fuzzes for my distortion needs. anyway i digress since this is about a stupid n00b question.

the ds-1 i picked up was "broken" which is why it was $10. upon opening it up i noticed a few things. missing was that plastic sheet that prevents the circuit from shorting out against the bottom of the enclosure. also there is some discoloration on the board under a diode that appears to have been burnt out. it is D1 on the board (1N4004). am i correct in assuming the reason why this pedal doesnt work is due to someone plugging the wrong ac adapter into it which fried D1 (i traced D1 back to the ac adapter plug so i'm assuming yes)? could it have sorted out against the bottom of the enclosure which led to it cooking itself? additionally what other components should i check to make sure they arent damaged also or does D1 burn itself out (kinda like a fuse) to prevent other components from burning out? everything else looks ok, meaning i dont see anything visibly wrong with them but i just wanna make sure.

thanks*

(*for your time and expertise!)
it's not a BURST BOX  it's a circuit box with burst button...

aron

Go with D1, I bet that's the problem. Then plug in a battery and measure the voltages on the chip. See the DIY FAQ for the pin to test (search for IC or op amp). You might have gotten a great deal there! Good Luck!

brett

Hi
D1 is probably there for protection against wrong (reverse) polarity.  In this case it might not have handled the load. Replace it and connect a power supply.
Adapters should be centre negative, outside positive (different to many other devices).
There's a significant chance that the op-amp will be damaged, and maybe a polarised cap or two.
good luck
Brett Robinson
Let a hundred flowers bloom, let a hundred schools of thought contend. (Mao Zedong)

thereverend

thanks. i'll check the DIY FAQ and make sure to check the IC and the caps if replacing the diode doesnt get it working.
it's not a BURST BOX  it's a circuit box with burst button...