Strange Power SUpply Problems...

Started by sjaltenb, May 02, 2009, 12:16:10 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

sjaltenb

Ok so I just build all my power supplies for my MultiFX board. They are standard 7809 power supplies, and they are putting out exactly 9.02VDC

My wiring is as follows:

Transformer Secondaries-->Power Supply Input-->9VDC+ to 9vDC input on FX
The ground for the effect goes to the power supply ground, and a wire connects the power supply ground to the signal ground, so, in theory this is just as a power supply would in a normal setup.

This worked Perfectly when I tested it earlier. Now, when I do this, the signal goes completely silent. What REALLY confuses me is that the power supplies are all working (I also put a status LED in there) even when there are NO grounds connected to the supply on either end!

On each supply i placed a "battery in" plug, and when I plug a 9v battery in, and connect everything identically, the effects work perfectly.

I cannot grasp what would be any different, the effects are getting 9.02VDC, the grounding scheme works perfeclty with a battery, but when I do it using the power supply the sound goes completely silent, as if the signal were going to ground. If i remove the ground, i get a ton of crazy noise.

(Note, i use the term Ground loosely...I know that I am not using it properly)

THanks!!!

sjaltenb

i'll be damned if i didnt unplug it, move it 3 feet and plug it back in and it works. in fact, i cant get it to not work.

wierd....but damn is it awesome!!!!!

MohiZ

It could be a bad connection somewhere. I'm glad you got it working, but be prepared the problem will come back  :(

Auke Haarsma

Yeah, sounds like a risk to me. If something suddenly stops working and then suddenly works again.... you can't rely on that.

R.G.

Ghosts.

Demons. The power supply is possessed.

Poultergeists have been moving your wires.

Maxwell's Demon is being uncooperative.

Mother Nature is offended.
R.G.

In response to the questions in the forum - PCB Layout for Musical Effects is available from The Book Patch. Search "PCB Layout" and it ought to appear.

Cliff Schecht

Perhaps his copper magnet wire was mined from an ancient burial ground.

sjaltenb

;D

I really don't know what happend.....of course it was late and I may have just been missing something the first time around. But it continues to work perfectly no matter what I do. So...who knows. Only continued testing will tell the truth. I'm guessing I was just missing something the first time around..

On another note...

I have heard my transformer "Click" at times. noise coming from the ACTUAL thing, not in the signal or from the amp. It seems like it kinda clicks or hums for a few seconds, then goes away. Is this a concern? Doesn't seem to do it very much, and it is barely audible. Keep in mind its a BIG hunk of iron.