"Delirium" 5672 Submini Pentode Tremolo/Boost - for danielzink !!

Started by frequencycentral, May 03, 2009, 04:03:26 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Valoosj

Quote from: frequencycentral on May 03, 2009, 07:11:44 PM
Quote from: danielzink on May 03, 2009, 06:31:59 PM
#1. I suck at pcb layouts - especially when an opamp is involved - anyone wanna whip this up ?

I just bet Valoosj will provide one.

I will, when my tube arrives here I know what space it requires for an easy fit.
Lets see if we can cram it in an A size ...
Quote from: frequencycentral
You squeezed it into a 1590A - you insane fool!  :icon_mrgreen:
Quote from: Scruffie
Well this... this is just silly... this can't fit in a 1590B... can it? And you're not even using SMD you mad man!

Cardboard Tube Samurai

Quote from: Darkness, Darkness on May 03, 2009, 07:07:18 PM
Quote from: Cardboard Tube Samurai on May 03, 2009, 06:18:21 PM
Can anyone understand French here? I'd like this datasheet translated to check suitability for such a tube project ---> http://tubes.mkdw.net/sheets/084/m/ME1403.pdf. I can only find it in French and wouldn't have a clue how to decipher it. I happen to have one of these tubes lying around and want to put it to use

Oui je comprends le Français  ;)  The difficulty here will be 'my english'  ::) ;D

So it's a subminiature pentode
Heaters ('chauffage') : DC only 1,25 V  8,2 mA (1,1 V min , 1,5 V max)
Grid 2 Voltage   ('Tension de la grille') - see schematic on page 2  : 5V min /  6,5 V average /  7,5 V max
Grid 1 voltage at grid current inversion (there must be a better translation but I don't know... the idea suggested here is that there is a voltage at which point the current change)   : - 1,15V average
Amplification factor ('Coefficient d'amplification'): 80 min  /110 average
Plate voltage ('anode voltage') : 45 V max
Grid 2 volatge : 45 V max
cathod current must not exceed 18 uA

Soldering must be done a least at 0,51 inches from the tube glass envelop. Tube connections should be bend at least at 0,059 inches from the glass envelop

Hope this will help

Thankyou very much!

Quote from: frequencycentral on May 03, 2009, 07:08:27 PM
Quote from: Cardboard Tube Samurai on May 03, 2009, 07:01:39 PM
Quote from: frequencycentral on May 03, 2009, 06:59:43 PM
what's stopping you?

Knowledge

Just looking at the 4068 data sheet, I'm pretty sure it could be used in this circuit for example. You'd just have to observe the correct pinout as it differs from the 5672. Use a LM317 (as above) to power the heater @ pin 1. Pin 3 to ground. Pin 2 is the input. Pin 4 is the output. Apply the LFO to pin 5. Pin 1 probably has a red dot to identify it.

There is indeed a red dot! Thanks. I will get around to this one day, but I've got so many projects on the boil at the moment, it will just have to wait

Taylor

Out of curiosity, do you do these mini tube projects for fun, as a means to stretch your design skills, or because the use of tubes makes an appreciable difference in the end result? I always enjoy looking at them, and am very impressed at your work, but I haven't tried to do any of them because of the added difficulty and power incompatibility as compared to solid state, 9v projects that do "the same thing".

So I'm just wondering if you find the tube tremolo, for example, to have a unique sound that one couldn't get with any of the solid state trems, or if it's more a matter of doing something no one's done before, for fun.

frequencycentral

Quote from: Taylor on May 03, 2009, 09:14:41 PM
Out of curiosity, do you do these mini tube projects for fun, as a means to stretch your design skills, or because the use of tubes makes an appreciable difference in the end result? I always enjoy looking at them, and am very impressed at your work, but I haven't tried to do any of them because of the added difficulty and power incompatibility as compared to solid state, 9v projects that do "the same thing".

So I'm just wondering if you find the tube tremolo, for example, to have a unique sound that one couldn't get with any of the solid state trems, or if it's more a matter of doing something no one's done before, for fun.

I've always preferred tube amps to solid state. I have nothing against solid state per se, I've built a couple of modular synths which are exclusively solid state. My last couple of builds have been a Big Muff and a Clari(not), I'm currently working on a Magnus Modulus and a Phase 45 with Maillet mods. I'm also in the process of breadboarding 'Event Horizon', which is solid state.

I built my first Valvecaster about a year ago, and loved it of course. It peaked my curiosity as to what else could be done with tubes. Then I came across Ton's work (puretube) and was just amazed. It set me on the course I'm still on right now, which is to design as broad a range of tube based effects as I can. Each design teaches me lessons which I can apply to the next one. I personally think my 'peak' has been 'Vintage Vibe', which has been compared sonically (not by me) to the Magnatone vibrato sound. I'm now trying to develop that idea into a phaser.

Yes it's fun, and stretches my skills as there are so few points of reference for this kind of stuff. With solid state design, it's always a case of looking over your shoulder at what others have done before, there's always an answer. I now find that I understand tubes more than I do solid state due to my incessant breadboarding. I won't hang up my tubes until I've exhausted the possibilities, so phase, wah, envelope filter and octaves are all still to come.

Regarding the added difficulty and power incompatibility, I don't think tubes are any more difficult than SS, and the 5672 projects in particular are easily integrated into the conventional 9 volt world, each 5672 draws 50ma for the heater and it's easy to drive the 1.25 volt heater voltage from a 9 volt supply. It's also possible to get up to (much) higher voltages using charge pumps and SMPS's from a 9 volt suppy.

As for having a unique sound, it's probably more appropriate for others to comment on that. Each effect, be it BJT, FET, IC or tube has it's own sound. My stuff just provides an alternative.

Ultimately though, I just do it because I'm Steampunk!

http://www.frequencycentral.co.uk/

Questo è il fiore del partigiano morto per la libertà!

Valoosj

Well this... this is just silly... this can't fit in a 1590B... can it? And you're not even using SMD you mad man!

nosamiam

Anyone have a second to check my PCB layout? Please go easy on me. I had several things not in my favor:
1) This is my first layout, software or otherwise. I've strictly used layouts done by other folks.
2) I don't have a tube or the enclosure.
3) I've never done a circuit with a tube before.

Ok, so excuses aside, does it work? Any errors, omissions, faux pas, etc.? Advice?

Thanks!

biggy boy

Quote from: nosamiam on May 14, 2009, 07:33:41 PM
Anyone have a second to check my PCB layout? Please go easy on me. I had several things not in my favor:
1) This is my first layout, software or otherwise. I've strictly used layouts done by other folks.
2) I don't have a tube or the enclosure.
3) I've never done a circuit with a tube before.

Ok, so excuses aside, does it work? Any errors, omissions, faux pas, etc.? Advice?

Thanks!

I don't see it, that's problem number one! :icon_biggrin:

nosamiam

nosamiam

Oh, whoops! I already see something screwy with the output cap/volume pot/"out" wire. Anything else?

nosamiam

nosamiam

No bites? Ok, I guess I'll build it in a couple of weeks and see how it goes.

frequencycentral

Quote from: nosamiam on May 15, 2009, 05:39:18 PM
No bites? Ok, I guess I'll build it in a couple of weeks and see how it goes.

I'll check it over the weekend!

Direct link to the schematic (my photobucket is down right now) : http://dl.getdropbox.com/u/967492/Delirium%20Tremolo.JPG

nosamiam

Caught another oops. I also managed to get it grown-up sized. I think this should be good now. Let us know how it looks when you get a chance, Rick! I'm looking forward to building it, however I'm broke as a joke right now. But when I do get $$ I've got projects LINED UP!

frequencycentral

Well guys, you've had 2 months now...............let me see your builds!!

danielzink - I designed this specially for you - where is your build?  :icon_rolleyes:

Explain yourselves sirs!

Valoosj

Mine is nearly done! Just waiting for one pot to come in.

Here are some pics.

frequencycentral

Valoosj

Quote from: frequencycentral on July 04, 2009, 11:26:40 AM

Why thank you, thank you very much. Still need to do the wiring though.
And I don't have a lot of time, so don't expect to see this one finished before august.

frequencycentral

Valoosj

A great man once told me something that held a lot of truth ...

Flaconsius

Hi guys.
I´ve made something similar, with the same LFO but with a 6CB6 tube instead of the subminis.
Here´s a Pic of a Provisory box:

It works Really fine, but got some G note-hum when the Depth Pot is decreasing. In minimun settings, it´s very acceptable, but from the middle to max, it´s annoying.
I´m powering the circuit with a regulated and Filtered wall wart with an LM7812 Regulator.

Another trouble is that the LFO reaches just 7,5 Volt maximun. So, the Overall Volume Falls down.
Any idea?   ???