Univox Super-fuzz (orange model)

Started by dawnofzion, May 04, 2009, 05:21:09 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

dawnofzion

I'm looking to make a univox super-fuzz (orange version).  I am looking for a layout of this model.  Does anyone know where I can find what i need to make this?  Thanks

kupervaser

Hey, what is so special about the orange version? Isn't it just the enclosure which changed? Well i also see there are different transistors used for it.
But i think the layout stayed pretty the same. I built one from the vero layout:

But you could also try this website, they have a pcb ready for toner transfer: http://ustomp.com/?p=12

It's an awesome sounding fuzz, however very unusufull.

Here is mine:

And this is how it sounds:
http://www.soundclick.com/bands/page_songInfo.cfm?bandID=435410&songID=7462285

Good luck

dawnofzion

What transistors are in that vero layout?  Did I miss them or are they not noted?  I can't seem to find the 2SC536 G7C transistors that were in the original orange super-fuzz.  What is a good replacement  tranny?

yeeshkul

jrod

Talon has them. Just search here: http://www.talonix.com/shop/   Kind of expensive, though.

Ustomp schematic of the Unicord Super Fuzz shows 2sc539. Perhaps this will work, too.

yeeshkul

kupervaser

You can also use these: 2N2222 or 2N3391 but I uses whatever the hell i had. I've tried different kinds but I couldn't really hear the difference.

bluesdevil

Great big sound on that Superfuzz, kupervaser! It's my next build so I was wondering about the best trannies also. Good to know it's not too particular on what you use, but would be cool to go with the originals.
"I like the box caps because when I'm done populating the board it looks like a little city....and I'm the Mayor!" - armdnrdy

R.G.

There are remarkably few circuits where the specific transistor type number makes a  huge difference.

When in doubt, use a 2N5088.  :icon_biggrin:
R.G.

In response to the questions in the forum - PCB Layout for Musical Effects is available from The Book Patch. Search "PCB Layout" and it ought to appear.

bluesdevil

Quote from: R.G. on May 06, 2009, 09:47:47 PM
There are remarkably few circuits where the specific transistor type number makes a  huge difference.

When in doubt, use a 2N5088.  :icon_biggrin:

Thanks R.G., I may just go with the 2n5089 since I have a big pile of 'em at hand.
"I like the box caps because when I'm done populating the board it looks like a little city....and I'm the Mayor!" - armdnrdy

kupervaser

Thanx, if you like the sound of the sample I can open the pedal and look which transistors I used.

I've been pretty lucky, i picked up an old 80th technics tuner for a few euros. When i opened it i was very surprised to find 7 of the 2sc828 transistors.
I might try them in the Super Fuzz. If I do I will post my results here.

kupervaser

Hey yeshkul, have you tried any others?

If yes, have you been able to hear any difference?

yeeshkul

I haven't. The only way to find out about transistors this way is to build 2 identical units and compare them straight. Unfortunately the method "use sockets and swap the devices" doesn't work well :)
I am comparing TS-808s right now with different 4885 releases (2 identical units in a double loop with different chips) and you would be surprised how different results i'm getting from before when i was just swapping the chips in one unit.

kupervaser

I suppose you are right. Still i was swaping transistors untill i got the ones that just sounded right to me.
I mean if they sound good to you than it is good sound, at least if you are going to play othrough it.

yeeshkul

yes, sure i agree. you can find a sound you like, however you are not able to compare that way.