News:

SMF for DIYStompboxes.com!

Main Menu

Stomp switch

Started by heisenberg, May 05, 2009, 10:40:56 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

heisenberg

Quick question:

I build my pedals in small plastic radio shack boxes and wire the bypass swutch to turn the pedal on. I get poppong so i started puttin 1 meg resistors on the input on output. Still get pop. Is this because i wire them to turn on with the switch or do i need to use larger value resistors? 1m5? 4m7??

earthtonesaudio

Barcode80

Quote from: heisenberg on May 05, 2009, 10:40:56 AM
Quick question:

I build my pedals in small plastic radio shack boxes and wire the bypass swutch to turn the pedal on. I get poppong so i started puttin 1 meg resistors on the input on output. Still get pop. Is this because i wire them to turn on with the switch or do i need to use larger value resistors? 1m5? 4m7??
if you are wiring with the power on the switch, it will always pop. make sure you aren't connecting/disconnecting power with the same switch you are bypassing with.

heisenberg

Thats exactly what i was doin and exactly what i needed to know. Crap. Thanks.

Barcode80

why the power switch on the bypass? why not just switch the power out when unplugged using the stereo jack trick or put the power on a separate toggle?

heisenberg

boxes are too small for another switch, plus I can't afford them. No credit card, and they're 4 bucks at radioshack. No stereo jack, and it's out of the question since I never unplug my pedals. BTW who unplugs their pedals every time they're done playing? I just pick up the guitar, turn the amp on, and stomp on the switch. I also had to use battery power, cuz I can't find a good adapter. I started using batteries after I;d built them and already filled the tiny boxes. so I had to wire the battery clips to some jacks and use the batteries externally through the 2.1mm jack.

Barcode80

yeah, i agree, i never unplug either. But you really either need to accept wall wart power (what is your definition of good??? There are like a million perfectly suited power supplies), accept dead batteries, or suck it up on the switch if you want the pop to go away.

DWBH

I'd advise you to buy a 1spot. Cheap and does the job!

nelson

Quote from: DWBH on May 07, 2009, 06:12:26 PM

I'd advise you to buy a cheap unregulated 12v power supply then regulate and filter it yourself.
My project site
Winner of Mar 2009 FX-X

doc_drop

Sorry to hijack, but Nelson, can you recommend a filtered/regulated 9v power supply schematic? I've been looking for one, but I would love a recommendation from someone who has made one successfully.

Thanks, and now back to our regularly scheduled programming...

heisenberg

I have the one spot its horrible. The generic adapter i used to use was quieter than the one spot for me. Maybe its the way i biuld pedals but theyre noisy on a daisy chain. I can get away on some pedals with the wall wrt for just that pedal but not more than one.  Tje pedals work perfectly with the battery warts i made though. Even thouhj it looks funny wirh the bats on the outside

( fogive the typos, i can only get online with thw iphone)

Paul Marossy

Quote from: nelson on May 07, 2009, 06:58:09 PM
Quote from: DWBH on May 07, 2009, 06:12:26 PM

I'd advise you to buy a cheap unregulated 12v power supply then regulate and filter it yourself.

+1