Author Topic: 2: The Schematic and parts list  (Read 252885 times)

aron

Re: 2: The Schematic and parts list
« Reply #200 on: June 14, 2013, 01:09:50 AM »
Yes

gnort_2

« Reply #201 on: June 16, 2013, 12:15:01 PM »
667-ECQ-U2A104KL ECQ-U2A104KL Film Capacitors .1uF 275V 10%  

1. If i Ordered This from mouser, is it the right voltage for the first item on the parts list?

2. Also on the parts list there is no indication of voltage.  I noticed when going to mouser to order parts that there are many a voltage option.  What voltages for which parts do i want?  

3.  Ohms choices for the resistors?  What should i order?

BTW thanks to everyone who has a true passion and knowledge on this board.  It is one thing to be knowledgable in regards to a subject, and is another thing to be willing to share that knowldge with patience.   its cool thanks.
« Last Edit: June 16, 2013, 12:27:30 PM by gnort_2 »

bluebunny

« Reply #202 on: June 17, 2013, 04:37:54 PM »
667-ECQ-U2A104KL ECQ-U2A104KL Film Capacitors .1uF 275V 10%  

1. If i Ordered This from mouser, is it the right voltage for the first item on the parts list?

2. Also on the parts list there is no indication of voltage.  I noticed when going to mouser to order parts that there are many a voltage option.  What voltages for which parts do i want?  

3.  Ohms choices for the resistors?  What should i order?

BTW thanks to everyone who has a true passion and knowledge on this board.  It is one thing to be knowledgable in regards to a subject, and is another thing to be willing to share that knowldge with patience.   its cool thanks.

1. Should be fine.  See 2.

2. So long as the voltage specified for the part (it's a maximum, btw) is higher than the voltage you're gonna use to power the circuit (so probably a 9V battery), then you'll be fine.  Capacitors will get physically larger as their max. voltage increases, but not by an outrageous amount.

3. "10K, 47K, 100K" are the values for the resistors: 10K = 10,000 ohms, etc.
Ohm's Law - much like Coles Law, but with less cabbage...

aron

« Reply #203 on: June 17, 2013, 05:18:19 PM »

KenInVic

« Reply #204 on: July 30, 2014, 04:52:25 PM »
I saw this asked but never answered so, for completeness.

All resistors are 250mW rated.  The author does explain using a 500mW resistor in one portion of the build pictorial simply because it was all they had at the time and that it would work.

allguitar

« Reply #205 on: March 15, 2015, 07:38:14 PM »
4 capacitors
1 transistor
5 resisters
Need 9v batt and 1 pot

mountianjustice

what went wrong
« Reply #206 on: March 18, 2015, 12:51:13 AM »
I tried to build the booster. It is working if passing signal is working but i wouldn't call it a boost if anything im getting less than i do plugged straight into the amp. I tried several transistors with the same results with all here is a schematic i made by looking at what ive done. shorting the base to the collector passes an unchanged signal
http://i1381.photobucket.com/albums/ah234/mountianjustice/my%20attempt_zpszktjg6xm.png

made some magic smoke then it started working how did i blow up a 100uf 16v cap with 9vdc i mean BANG!!! it blew up

Well i got it working and with a T1806 germanium transistor to boot and it sounds great thank you for having such easy to follow instructions this is a great forum. I do have one issue im losing signal on hard strums on the bass strings it will cut out if i get too much signal into the unit. What could the issue be there? I also added a 10000uf 25v cap across the power supply to take care of a whine that was present. I've added hundreds of dollars of equip to my arsenal for nothing. I build all my effects with parts pulled from junk electronics. It takes a little longer but sometimes you find some pretty cool stuff along the way. So far I've got a Valvecaster actually quite a few ive got one with a 12ax7 one with 12au7 one with 12au6 and one with three 12ba6 tubes each with it own cathode bias knob. I built a james tone stack and ive got a few op amps I've been messing with. My biggest cost so far has been the solder. though i could use a few 500k pots. I have loads of 10k pots.
« Last Edit: March 18, 2015, 02:20:18 AM by mountianjustice »

smallbearelec

« Reply #207 on: October 30, 2015, 08:21:24 AM »
I just dont understand whether I need a specific transistor, or whether any will suffice, and what effect different tranistors have on the sound the pedal produces.

Please check out the breadboarded version of this project:

http://www.diystompboxes.com/smfforum/index.php?board=43.0

It has a complete parts list and links to my store where you can find either individual parts or a full kit. To answer your questions: Many transistors will work, and the article gives some suggestions. The transistor type won't noticeably affect the tone; this is a volume boost, not an "effect" as such.

digitalzombie

« Reply #208 on: February 03, 2016, 04:29:06 PM »
So I went through the entire thread and I had a question that was asked already but no answer was given:

What does the 47uF across the B5K do? I've seen this in a couple circuits and I don't understand its purpose. The B5K is what's adjusting the voltage from the Emitter to ground, so is the cap there simply for power smoothing? Wouldn't the circuit run pretty much exactly the same without it if lugs 2 & 1 just went to ground?

duck_arse

« Reply #209 on: February 04, 2016, 10:15:14 AM »

the 5k pot is one of the parts that sets the DC conditions of the transistor, along with the base bias voltage. the 47uF cap bypasses (to ground) some portion of the 5k, but only for AC, determined by the pot setting. the gain is set by the ratio of the collector resistance to the emitter resistance, and bypassing the pot lowers the emitter resistance for AC signals, without changing the DC conditions.

if lugs 1&2 went to ground, the AC gain will still vary, but the DC conditions will also change, upsetting your carefully chosen collector voltage, and producing distortion on signal peaks.

search for emitter bypass cap, you'll find plenty of info.
".... the Victoria’s Secret of pedal underwear" - Phillip H
"Who?" - Steven Toast
"No way you cna go wrong" - Juan Wayne
is the duck allowed to walk along the top of the fence?

bluebunny

« Reply #210 on: February 04, 2016, 11:44:59 AM »
if lugs 1&2 went to ground, the AC gain will still vary, but the DC conditions will also change, upsetting your carefully chosen collector voltage, and producing distortion on signal peaks.

Ah ha!

Thanks, duck.
Ohm's Law - much like Coles Law, but with less cabbage...

pipporan

« Reply #211 on: May 26, 2017, 09:35:38 PM »
i've seen this post, and i tried to draw my FIRST layout...i post here, please make me know if it's correct
i have just 2 doubts:
1) how to understand WHICH is lug 1 of the pot and which is lug 3 from the schematic?
2) the node that i've circled in the schematic, it's all connected together, isn't it?

duck_arse

« Reply #212 on: May 31, 2017, 11:08:06 AM »
about 1) head over to geofex, look for the secret life of pots, and forget about 1, 2 and 3, call them properly CCW and CW. the circuit connections should then become clear.

about 2) yes, all those points join inside the circle.
"Who?" - Steven Toast

pipporan

« Reply #213 on: June 05, 2017, 10:35:19 PM »
about 1) head over to geofex, look for the secret life of pots, and forget about 1, 2 and 3, call them properly CCW and CW. the circuit connections should then become clear.

i'll do!
it's time to get "deeper" in electronics ;D

bamslam69

« Reply #214 on: June 05, 2017, 11:14:30 PM »
about 2) yes, all those points join inside the circle.

Give me the "dot" connection anyday.
Rhythym in jump, dancing close to you

Leopold T

« Reply #215 on: July 11, 2017, 09:10:27 AM »
I ordered all the parts a few weeks ago, and they're all here now, but I realised I may have made some mistakes. My 100K resistor is 5 watts. it's really big. Clearly not the best part I could have ordered. But what I'm wondering is, will it actually work if i use it in the boost pedal anyway?

Also my 47K resistor is 1 watt. Slightly bigger than the half watt resistors I have, but not as comically oversized as the 5 watt.

duck_arse

« Reply #216 on: July 11, 2017, 11:09:23 AM »
100k is 100k. at least you won't cook the 5W. call it extra mojo, or cement for a harder-edged sound. and order 1/4W next time.
"Who?" - Steven Toast

Leopold T

« Reply #217 on: July 12, 2017, 09:01:17 AM »
thanks