Author Topic: 2: The Schematic and parts list  (Read 252960 times)

2: The Schematic and parts list
« Reply #40 on: May 28, 2005, 12:28:17 PM »
I apologize if here isn't really the place for this, but I'm curious as to *how* schematics work. Correct me if I get anything wrong:

From what I can tell, the capacitors that the input and output flank are the coupling caps, which keep the DC signal from leaving the circuit. The capacitor parallel to the emitter forces the DC signal to go through the 47 K resistor to get to the voltage divider. The 10 K resistor leading to the base and the 100k resistor that goes around to the 9V is the voltage divider, which  sets the operating voltage of the transistor. And the 10 K resistor just outside of the collector controlls the output.

I don't quite understand the bypass capacitor, though, and why that was used as the boost control. Or the resistor near the output... but I can almost guess it's a filter.?

trumpus

Re: 2: The Schematic and parts list
« Reply #41 on: November 27, 2005, 01:15:33 AM »
For the electrolytic capacitors, does it matter if they are axial or radial?  What is the difference?

Brian

Burton

« Reply #42 on: November 27, 2005, 02:02:18 AM »
For the electrolytic capacitors, does it matter if they are axial or radial?  What is the difference?

Brian

Axial capacitors have leads coming from opposite ends.. kind of like resistors. Radial capacitors are the kind in the pictorial, with both leads coming from the bottom.  Radial capacitors take up less space on the PCB, so they are more commonly used.  You can use axial capacitors as long as you follow the schematic correctly, but your completed circuit will look slightly different from Aron's in the pictorial.

trumpus

« Reply #43 on: November 27, 2005, 02:07:58 AM »
Thanks alot!!

Brian

DLH

« Reply #44 on: December 14, 2005, 02:50:56 PM »
I want to build this boost with a led, 3pdt footswitch, and the range control.

I've noticed that there is resistor between the LED and the switch. Is the resistor one of the resistors that are part of the circuit or is it  an addition? Also on the range control picture, it shows the range pot connected to a 1uf and 22uf capacitors. Are these part of the original circuit or additional components?

I've noticed a couple of posts referring to a DC jack, but I couldn't track down the info. Is there a link or thread I can read to learn how to add this?

Thanks.

guythmike

« Reply #45 on: February 05, 2006, 04:07:45 PM »
i was looking around for capacitors to get an estimate as to how much all this is going to cost. when i looked for the .1 capacitor, all i found was 0.01. just to clarify, are these the same thing?

mdh

« Reply #46 on: February 07, 2006, 01:58:00 AM »
i was looking around for capacitors to get an estimate as to how much all this is going to cost. when i looked for the .1 capacitor, all i found was 0.01. just to clarify, are these the same thing?

No, 0.01 is not the same as 0.1.  You want a 0.1uF (microfarad) capacitor; that's the same as 100nF (nanofarad). Remember:

pico = 10^-12
nano = 10^-9
micro = 10^-6
milli = 10^-3

Good luck.

windwaker

« Reply #47 on: February 17, 2006, 07:45:52 PM »
Question; which resistor controls the gain?

edit: dur, the pot controls the gain.  I was just confused by that other thread with the guy who had one with two pots (volume and gain).
« Last Edit: February 18, 2006, 08:58:29 PM by windwaker »

ChamberMonk

« Reply #48 on: March 21, 2006, 11:28:08 AM »
Hi, I have just ordered two jacks, do you think these will do the job: http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=7335424424&rd=1&sspagename=STRK%3AMEWN%3AIT&rd=1

llanafreak44

« Reply #49 on: March 21, 2006, 04:59:28 PM »
I have a question, How do i put this on the bread board thing?, do i need to fix the board a certain way?

hookus

« Reply #50 on: March 26, 2006, 02:23:42 AM »
What model transistor will give the cleanest boost?  I am using this for bass, so clean is a must.

UP-G

« Reply #51 on: March 30, 2006, 08:31:50 AM »
Hey Aron,

Nice forum !!! I want to start building pedals, but I've never done something like this, so there will be some dumb ass questions while building I think !!!

So here it is: Question numbero uno !!!
Why do you use a stereo input jack instead of a mono ??? Will a mono input jack work as well ???

Thanks !!!

woulfer

« Reply #52 on: March 30, 2006, 09:27:14 AM »
The stereo jack is used as a power switch. The circuit is only powered when you plug a cord into the input jack.

rubberabbit

« Reply #53 on: April 03, 2006, 09:20:19 AM »
hey guys

i just tore apart a busted modem of mine.

there are so many components in there!

well..jsut a question, abt the electrolyctic caps.. there are a few 10uF and 22uFs. but the voltages are like kinda random. even for the same uF, there are like 50v, and then 16v. do these voltages matter? or i only take into account the uF's?

thanks

aron

« Reply #54 on: April 03, 2006, 01:32:26 PM »
16V or higher, fine for your 9V projects.

Yep you can use them.

Aron

wzrroc

« Reply #55 on: April 16, 2006, 09:55:37 PM »
Does it matter if i do not use a transistor socket. Can i just attach the transistor straight to the board?

pyrop

« Reply #56 on: April 16, 2006, 10:12:53 PM »
Hi
Yes you can just solder the transistor to the board.
But it is recommended that you do use sockets because:
1. It is safer as transistor can be damaged from heat during soldering.
2. Can easily change the transistor. In case you put it in the wrong way round, IT HAPPENS. Use different one's i.e. higher gain, lower gain etc.

pyrop ;D

kwokwok

« Reply #57 on: April 20, 2006, 12:55:44 AM »
in regards to the Electrolytics caps.... i found sooo many types? anyone know the diff?
ELECTROLYTIC AXIAL 
ELECTROLYTIC BI-POLAR   
ELECTROLYTIC CHASSIS MT. (CAN TYPE) 
ELECTROLYTIC LOW ESR   
ELECTROLYTIC LOW LEAKAGE   
ELECTROLYTIC NON-POLAR   
ELECTROLYTIC RADIAL   
ELECTROLYTIC SNAP-IN   
ELECTROLYTIC SUB-MINIATURE   
ELECTROLYTIC SUPER CAPS   

wat do i need for this project?

rockgardenlove

« Reply #58 on: April 20, 2006, 02:23:30 AM »
I like the axial ones...

Btw if you want to make it easy on yourself, just use smallbearelec.com
Really good site, and you're supporting the DIY stompboxers ;)

kenny404

« Reply #59 on: June 16, 2006, 12:34:24 AM »
Hey it seems kinda late to be asking this (and kinda stupid) but im a total noob and i need to know what kinda pedal is that schematic for because ive been looking for a schematic for ages and i found one but i dont know what its for

thanks to anyone who answers my q