I liked the old forum better

Started by george, September 25, 2003, 07:57:35 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

george

sorry Aron I know you work hard for us ungrateful DIY guys.

but at least with the old forum you had a better chance of getting your question answered, you could see the whole thread and choose the post you wanted to answer.

now the only post to a thread you can answer is the last one.

like I say sorry but I'm only trying to help.

Paul Perry (Frostwave)

Well, if I see something aways back that I want to reply to, I go right ahead & do it. I suppose the "subject" line might help..

Oliver

Quote from: georgesorry Aron I know you work hard for us ungrateful DIY guys.

but at least with the old forum you had a better chance of getting your question answered, you could see the whole thread and choose the post you wanted to answer.

now the only post to a thread you can answer is the last one.

like I say sorry but I'm only trying to help.

Hi George,

choose the "Quote" Button, to answere on a special Post from someone.
OK, it will be positioned at the Bottom, from this view, i liked the old Forum more too....

bye
Oliver
Only dead Fishes go with the flow... >-))))-°>

Deep Blue

--Deep Blue
resident newbie

Ed Rembold

opinions are like belly-buttons.....everybodies got one.
In this case, I agree with George 100%.
I read posts based on who responded,  Not what the subject is.
For example, If any of the "vetrans" answers a post , I read it,  no matter what the subject.
In this forum style- this is impossible.
Also with my win98/nets4.7/13"monitor, most "features" don't work and/or cause lockup .
It does however work on my "wife's" big computer at home (XP/exp/17")
Overall,  I find this forum style cold and impersonal.
No offense Aron.
I'm just old school.
Ed R.

sirkut

I was actually waiting for this to happen on the forum. I can't stand the old forum format. It's neater,more structured than the previous format, and I must admit the search is MUCH better than it was before.  Btw, if you want to read anything from the veterans, all you have to do is "bookmark" their profile and you can do a complete search of every post they have. For example, not to pick on you but you were the easiest to find,  you wanted to read what Paul had to say for the week. Just bookmark this link:

http://diystompboxes.com/sboxforum/profile.php?mode=viewprofile&u=61

then click on the right hand side that says "find all.."

bwanasonic

Quote from: Ed Rembold
Overall,  I find this forum style cold and impersonal.
No offense Aron.
I'm just old school.
Ed R.

You can't please everyone , esp. people still running netscape 4.x  :wink: This forum software is becoming pretty standard and seems to meet the needs of a lot of people. I like it fine, and am used to the *flat* style from other forums.  Hope it doesn't discourage you from posting Ed!

Kerry M

Mike Nichting

I'll tell ya' what`!!!! I will enjoy any forum and any format that has guys on it that know as much as some of the guys around here~!!!
People pay a hell of a lot of money to go to school to listen to guys and girls that know what they are talking about.....answer their questions and share their wealth of knowledge..

I liked the old forum better in the way it was laid out but like I said as long as Aron finds it in his heart to do this for us I am not complaining~!!

Don't hate....appreciate  :lol:  

Be well all~!!!
Mike Nichting
NUKLHED
"It's not pollution thats hurting the earth, it's the impurities in the water and air that are doing it".
Quoted from a Vice President Al Gore speech

cd

IMHO the old board was the biggest piece of crap I've ever used.  Impossible to search, no way to see an entire thread, old messages became unthreaded from the main list... ugh.

Ed R, if you're on an old system do yourself a favor and get two things:

1) 98lite (www.litepc.com) : removes all extraneous crap from Win98, I suggest using the Win95 shell for maximum speed (works best with a fresh install of Windows - I don't recommend installing it over an existing Win98 install)

2) dump Netscape, Opera 5 is/was the fastest browser for old PCs, newer versions (6/7) are terrible.  If you must, IE 5.5 works fine on an old computer and it's ten times faster than Netscape.

Bluesgeetar

I loved the old forum!  Why?  At least the archives worked then!  I could have answered most of my newer questions had I access to the archives.  I didn't didn't figure it would take this long so I didn't bother saving them to hard drive!  There were some nice posts on the Orange TBB I could have used but alas unless I want to build the TBB when I'm old and grey I can forget seeing them sometime soon.  Sorry for the impatience but I need them archives!!!!!!!!  Alot of good stuff in there for newbies!

afranks

FWIW, I thought the old forum was crap.  I like the new "flat"
structure.  The nesting on the old topics got way too deep, with
50,000 sub-threads.  It was a pain in the butt to sift through.

Long live phpBB!!!!!!!

aron

The most interesting thing to me is that the current forum seems more "focused" on topic.

I like the memberlist and I've gotten used to the way this works.

There are mods to allow you to see theading almost like the old forum in a _single_ thread.

Ed, if you want to see who replied to what, this forum allows you to see ALL the posts by any member simply by checking out their entry in the member list.

Ed G.

I prefer this. Php bulletin boards are more powerful and can be configured in different ways. It's easier to search for things in here.
Sure, it's a little different, but eventually everyone should get used to it.

Ed Rembold

Guys,
Thanks for all the tips-
both for operating systems, and for getting the most out of this forum....
Thanks, Ed R.

aron

I forgot the biggest feature. You can correct your post!!!

Very useful!   :)

Doug H

I don't have real strong opinions one way or the other about this vs. the old forum. However, I think I prefer this a little because the flat format is easier on the eyes for me. The old forum was very confusing to follow sometimes- threads within threads within threads. If I want to respond to something in particular I just use the quotes. Otherwise I leave them off just to make a general comment. Seems pretty simple and easy to follow for me.

I think this site is faster on my ancient Mac too. The old one was dog-slow. On a newer PC they are about the same. In the end it doesn't make much difference to me. I'm happy to go wherever Aron is happy to host. :D

Doug

george

OK I've had my bitch and moan ... I feel much better now ... thanks

Like I say Aron you put so much into this, and I didn't want to seem ungrateful.  

It's just that in some of the posts I've asked a question and it just seems to have gotten lost especially if there were a lot of posts after mine.  The threaded format of the old format meant that if there were 10 posts you could specifically reply to the first or whatever, and people could see that.

As other people have indicated it's just a matter of using the functionality of the new forum to "work around" that perceived shortcoming

Regards

aron

The interesting thing about this forum SW is that with one click I can see what you have posted:

http://www.diystompboxes.com/sboxforum/search.php?search_author=george

seems like most have gotten replies.

cd

Quote from: georgeOK I've had my bitch and moan ... I feel much better now ... thanks

Like I say Aron you put so much into this, and I didn't want to seem ungrateful.  

It's just that in some of the posts I've asked a question and it just seems to have gotten lost especially if there were a lot of posts after mine.  The threaded format of the old format meant that if there were 10 posts you could specifically reply to the first or whatever, and people could see that.

As other people have indicated it's just a matter of using the functionality of the new forum to "work around" that perceived shortcoming

Regards

Add a reply to your own post to "bump" it up to the top.  There's a subtle ettiquette to this, I wouldn't do it more than once every couple of days.

To me this is a strength of the new board.  With the old board, an interesting reply made today might have gotten buried three or four pages down, instead of being up top.

george

hmmm ... interesting.

Thanks everybody for all your tips, one thing that *hasn't* changed is how helpful you guys are.  Cheers!