TBA820M low power ic amp. Anyone used it?

Started by 347sixtyseven, May 12, 2009, 06:43:31 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

347sixtyseven

Hi guys,

I found one of these TBA820M(http://users.tpg.com.au/adsly6up/wiring/1440.pdf) amps in and old clock radio i was given for parts. Has anyone else used them before in any projects?

If so, feedback would be much appreciated.

I am considering using it to make a slightly higher powered Gem or Ruby style amp.

Another thought i had was putting this ic into a circuit that could run as the power amp section of a Tube Cricket style amp.

Any thoughts or suggestions?

Cheers

Gary

waltk

I've used it many times, and it works great.  The standard schematic from the datasheet is fine.  It seems to work best with 12v instead of 9v, and you'll want to have some kind of buffer in front of it.  I can post a PCB layout if you are set up to etch your own boards.

347sixtyseven

A layout would be awesome thanks

Would save me a lot of time.

Gary

waltk

Here's a layout straight from the datasheet, but with an input level pot.  I am working on a newer version that limits the amount of gain by putting a small (33 ohm) resistor in series with the gain pot.  So this version works, but there are a couple changes I would make with the gain pot and input level.  If you wait a bit longer, I'll post the updated version.  The boxey-looking components on this layout are three-pin connectors like you would find powering fans on a PC motherboard.  I always use these for pots and jacks so I can easily test and swap different ones - you can just solder in the wires if that idea doesn't appeal to you.

347sixtyseven

Thank you very much,

I will throw it together when i get a chance and will let you know what i think.

Gary

Mark Hammer

If you would like to be able to use it without having to change batteries every week, I would recommend using an 8-pack of either C-cells or AA-cells.  That will not only give you the suggested 12v, but also provide plenty of current.  If you have room in the anticipated package, you might even want to consider an 8-pack of D-cells for extra-long service.

347sixtyseven

Thank you Mark,

At this stage i am thinking wall wart to power it but i had planned on battery power as well. Your suggestions will save me a few headaches.

Gary

Mark Hammer

I made one a while back, and was impressed with how bloody loud it could be with a proper speaker and cab.  No headphone amp this!