GGG Red Llama volume boost

Started by NPrescott, May 12, 2009, 08:32:14 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

NPrescott

So I'm taking a breather from debugging to ask if anyone has any idea what I've done here.

This is my second attempt at the General Guitar Gadgets Way Huge Red Llama kit - I've done no parts substitutions; it is, right now completely stock to the parts listed here:
http://www.generalguitargadgets.com/pdf/ggg_whrl_bom.pdf.
With the inclusion of optional resistor #6.

It bypasses correctly, but when engaged does no sort of overdrive or fuzz. Instead all I get is an enormous volume boost (unity gain ~ 9 o' clock). I have no way of telling the amount of volume increase, but it is enough to drive my amp from clean to heavily distorted. The pot for 'drive' has no effect on the sound, it is as if it were not there no matter its position.

I'm not sure what to do, I've check for badly soldered joints and wiring, checked the polarity of the caps. I know there is more I can do but I'm at a loss and any help would be appreciated. I can provide more information as necessary (pin voltages?). I'm currently trying an audio probe, but it isn't helping in that all I get is the boosted signal or a loud pop.

Edit: reread aron's debugging page, will have voltages shortly  :icon_redface:
Edited again: I realized I did not link a schematic, the one used may be downloaded here: http://www.generalguitargadgets.com/pdf/ggg_whrl_sc.pdf

NPrescott

I apologize for the delay, pin voltages for IC1 (4049UBN) are as follows:

P1 = 5.40 V
P2 = 2.68 V
P3 = 2.68 V
P4 = 2.68 V
P5 = 2.68 V
P6 = 0.9 mV
P7 = 5.41 V
P8 = 0.2 mV
P9 = 5.41 V
P10 = 0.9 mV
P11 = 5.41 V
P12 = 1 mV
P13 = I had a bit of a problem here, the measured voltage began at ~5 mV and gradually increased while I kept the probe on the pin, after about a minute I took it off and it was still increasing though it was only at 44 mV
P14 = 5.41 V
P15 = 1 mV
P16 = Much in the same way that P13 increased, so did 16, though while I kept the probe for about a minute again it reached 17 mV and began decreasing.

D1 = 5.41 V and 0 at ground. I'm not certain I measured this correctly as I'm having trouble distinguishing a banded end (anode from cathode)

Could I have the diode (1N4001) backwards?

MikeH

Can't offer any info based on your voltages, but you have the diode oriented correctly; if it was the other way around your power supply would be shorting out and you wouldn't get anything at all.

"Sounds like a Fab Metal to me." -DougH

SlashLP97

How do you know that it offers no sort of distortion or fuzz if your amp is pushed into being "heavily distorted" are you sure it is not the pedal.  Also, are you sure you have the pots wired correctly so that turning them will actually affect the gain?  Also, you said there is only 5.41V being dropped across the diode, what are you powering this thing with?

fuzzo

Have you try to change the IC? I had problems when I make mine , I spent to 2hours debbuging it to understand it was the dead IC, I changed it and it works good.

Plus, I think this kind of COSM are very sensitive to the Static electricity.

So maybe in changing the IC you'll get the correct sound.

NPrescott

Quote from: SlashLP97 on May 13, 2009, 08:47:03 AM
How do you know that it offers no sort of distortion or fuzz if your amp is pushed into being "heavily distorted" are you sure it is not the pedal.  Also, are you sure you have the pots wired correctly so that turning them will actually affect the gain?  Also, you said there is only 5.41V being dropped across the diode, what are you powering this thing with?
I should have clarified this, on a 5 watt tube amp it produces enough volume to go from clean to heavily distorted but produces no distortion or fuzz of it's own when used with anything with greater headroom. I'll check the wiring of the pots again for mistakes, and I'm powering it with a 9 V (300 mA) wall wart.

Quote from: fuzzo on May 13, 2009, 09:25:58 AM
Have you try to change the IC? I had problems when I make mine , I spent to 2hours debugging it to understand it was the dead IC, I changed it and it works good.
I did try swapping out the IC for a spare with no discernable difference, same volume boost, same tone.

tackleberry

I built the tube sound version but pretty much same pedal. The gain pot did have plenty of effect in mine. And the volume knob offered a huge boost in volume compared to another 4049 based pedal I have.

NPrescott

Problem solved!

I had the pots switched, with 10k for drive and 1 meg for volume  :icon_redface:

Thanks everyone for the input.