GGG has a new reverb kit!

Started by mth5044, May 15, 2009, 09:49:03 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

mth5044

biggy boy

Nice!

I see that Small Bear sells the belton btdr-1h Reverb box for $18.00
The rest of the circuit looks pretty straight forward too.

ppatchmods

I just ordered the kit from GGG. Anyone built it, or any reverb from the beltone yet?
When your life is over, will any of this STUFF really matter?

R.G.

This is Beltone's second attempt at a reverb module. The first was pretty dreadful. They got some good advice, took it, and this one's pretty good.
R.G.

In response to the questions in the forum - PCB Layout for Musical Effects is available from The Book Patch. Search "PCB Layout" and it ought to appear.

Lurco

What about the rumors concerning the brick-internals? (Alesis or Spin?)

iaresee

I'd be very interested in hearing a build report. And even more interested in hearing clips. My thanks in advance to you guys trying it out.

Curly

I was looking at this one the other day too ...

I'm glad JD got the build files up.
"music heals"

Taylor

Quote from: Lurco on May 15, 2009, 01:47:28 PM
What about the rumors concerning the brick-internals? (Alesis or Spin?)

According to Doug Deeper, it's just a bunch of PT2399s with a little support circuitry.

Jay

With 10K Zin and no signal loss this could be interesting to try directly in a tube amp - i.e. no transformer or recovery stage.

Has anyone tried that yet?

Jay

head_spaz

Quote from: Jay on May 17, 2009, 05:46:34 AM
With 10K Zin and no signal loss this could be interesting to try directly in a tube amp - i.e. no transformer or recovery stage.

Has anyone tried that yet?

Jay

Reading the spec sheet for the tank, it shows that power and signal grounds are connected inside the module.
This likely means that it will require it's own separate powersupply, as it will be not be possible to use the filament supply because of it's virtual or CT ground, or elevated heater connection. Grounding the other end of an elevated filament supply would be BAD NEWS for the tubes!!!
Deception does not exist in real life, it is only a figment of perception.

Jay

Quote from: head_spaz on May 17, 2009, 07:31:16 AM

This likely means that it will require it's own separate powersupply, as it will be not be possible to use the filament supply because of it's virtual or CT ground, or elevated heater connection.

True enough, but providing suitable power to it wouldn't be too difficult/expensive and cost/space requirements compared to a conventional tube/transformer/tank system are very attractive - providing it sounds any good!

Jay

head_spaz

Quote from: Jay on May 17, 2009, 07:58:45 AM
True enough, but providing suitable power to it wouldn't be too difficult/expensive and cost/space requirements compared to a conventional tube/transformer/tank system are very attractive - providing it sounds any good!
Jay

Yes, I agree.
But I felt it imperative to point this out, lest it be overlooked or forgotten and someone lets the magic smoke out of those expensive tubes, transformers and the like.
Deception does not exist in real life, it is only a figment of perception.

doug deeper

i said it COULD BE the pt chips, there are at least two (i couldnt get all of the cover off) 16 pin sm ics in there (there is plenty room for more!) and the other goodies look to be in the right place, but im not saying thats whats going on for sure!
gotta cover my tracks in case in wrong!
;D

Taylor

Sorry Doug, didn't mean to throw you under the tracks.  :icon_wink:

I heard some sound clips, and I think if it was using a DSP chip, it could have a more believable spring sound than it does.

ppatchmods

When your life is over, will any of this STUFF really matter?

biggy boy

Just ordered the kit.
Can't wait to get it.

mth5044

That video is a real turnoff for me. It sounds like it's just a delay with really short delay times, not a reverb-like sound, like the new spring chicken.

Taylor

FWIW, I think it's likely that the Spring Chicken uses the Belton box. Seems it sprang (NPI) into existence right when this chip appeared, and at the same time as the Mr. Springgy, which we know uses the Belton. Malekko even says something like, "we didn't invent this chip, but we made it sound good".

Curly

listen to the clips that are posted ... they're a much better use of reverb
Quote from: mth5044 on May 19, 2009, 07:37:18 PM
That video is a real turnoff for me. It sounds like it's just a delay with really short delay times, not a reverb-like sound, like the new spring chicken.
"music heals"

Kitarist