Fuzz Face pot value question

Started by Curly, May 17, 2009, 01:49:54 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Curly

(yes, I did a search ...)

What effect would lowering the volume pot from the stock 500k to 100K, and raising the fuzz pot from stock 1k to say 2k - 10k have?

I'm looking for a wider sweet spot on the volume and fuzz pots.

"music heals"

biggy boy

I wouldn't mind knowing also.
I just finnished putting components on a fuzz face board and plan to use a 10k pot for the fuzz.
I'm doing this because I don't have a 1k pot!

This is the one I'm making
http://www.aronnelson.com/gallery/main.php/v/DRAGONFLY-LAYOUTS_0/album18/FUZZ+PCB/VINTAGE+STYLE+FUZZ+FACE+-+SILICON_001.GIF.html?g2_imageViewsIndex=1

frequencycentral

Using a 100K for the volume pot will reduce the overall output level compared to using a 500K. Not sure what changing the 1K will do though.
http://www.frequencycentral.co.uk/

Questo è il fiore del partigiano morto per la libertà!

Derringer

it will definitely affect your bias resistors

at the lowest setting, you'll have less gain than you would with a 1K pot
at the highest setting you'll have equal gain to the 1K pot

worth messing with as long as you compensate your collector resistor

biggy boy

Quote from: Derringer on May 17, 2009, 09:45:24 PM
it will definitely affect your bias resistors

at the lowest setting, you'll have less gain than you would with a 1K pot
at the highest setting you'll have equal gain to the 1K pot

worth messing with as long as you compensate your collector resistor

Ya I noticed at full gain the sound was good. But If I rolled back the gain just a tiny tiny bit no fuzz, too clean. This is with a 10K gain pot.

I've been reading R.G.'s transistor trouble shooting page and trying to learn, so much to learn bit by bit......
www.geofex.com/fxdebug/fxdebug.htm

smallbearelec

Years back, some of us found that audio taper for the fuzz pot "opened up" the control and made it much more precise. But the direction of control was wrong--greatest distortion was at the counterclockwise end. I did the obvious at the time and had Alpha make a 1K reverse audio pot. It's SKU 1007 in my Stock List. While I can't say that it has become a "standard," it has made a lot of people happy.

Regards
SD

biggy boy

Thanks Steve!

I was also reading at R.G.'s site that reducing the volume pot from 500k to a lower value will make it sound brighter.

Gus

Curly

thanks, Steve

I placed an order for those.

Quote from: smallbearelec on May 17, 2009, 10:54:03 PMI did the obvious at the time and had Alpha make a 1K reverse audio pot.  While I can't say that it has become a "standard," it has made a lot of people happy.
"music heals"

biggy boy

Found a 5k trim pot and hooked it up, sounds better not as blotty.
I them pluged it into a GusBoost (thanks Gus!) and the two together sound great!!! tons of volum with the boost.