..and more TRansistor Muff Fuzz Q's :D

Started by Mugshot, May 18, 2009, 03:06:19 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Mugshot

hi guys, ive finished building a Transistor-based Muff Fuzz clone from GGG, http://www.generalguitargadgets.com/diagrams/muffpl.gif. i used 2 2N3904 transistors and 1n34 diodes, but i feel there is little output, full CW is just a notch over the bypass signal, and it seems too clean for my taste, none of the fuzziness i was expecting.

could it be because of the diodes, or the transistors used? the project specifies 2N5088 (hi-gain) though, but i only have 2 2n3904s in my bin. good thing i have my sockets  ;D

also, can any diode work? im thinking of using yellow LEDs. will it work?
i am what i am, so are you.

Mark Hammer

I used to have an original, and the 2N5133 transistors it used had an hfe of around 230-250.  So, not really high-gain monsters.  Some, though not all, 2N3904s can hit hfe ratings like that, although a 2N5088 will assure them.  Either way, there should be enough gain in the circuit with 3904s to extract some clipping from the diodes.

First thing to do is verify that you have the pinouts of your transistors accurately identified.

petemoore

The 2n3904's I tried seemed a good bit noisier than the 2n5088's.
Convention creates following, following creates convention.

Gus

Use the sticky what do do when it does not work.

It is the same basic circuit as a FF with added shunt clippers.

First thing to do after measuring the transistor voltages is to lift the diodes and find out how loud it gets.

Yes you can different diode clippers,  I would try 1N4148s, 1N400x...

Mugshot

Quote from: Gus on May 18, 2009, 10:39:48 AM
Use the sticky what do do when it does not work.

It is the same basic circuit as a FF with added shunt clippers.

First thing to do after measuring the transistor voltages is to lift the diodes and find out how loud it gets.

Yes you can different diode clippers,  I would try 1N4148s, 1N400x...

1) i tried LEDs. seemed to have MORE output than the 1N34s i used previously. yellow LEDS, and they glow in the dark once i hit the strings. wow. didnt know they do lgiht up like that hehe. silly me.

i think i'll be settled using the LEDs for sure. i used an A500 pot for output.

2) the 2n3904s are socketed, and im waiting for the 2n5088s i ordered, which are high gain.

any way though to increase gain in the circuit (i.e., changing resistor values)?

3) i seem to like this muff when it's boosted by an LPB, so im thinking of putting the two in a box (LPB>Muff). would there be pop issues since the output of the LPB will be going directly to the input of the muff fuzz? i installed a 2.2Meg resistor for the input-to-ground of the Muff.

biggy boy

[/quote]

any way though to increase gain in the circuit (i.e., changing resistor values)?

[/quote]

Can you post your voltages at the transistors?

Go here to learn how to post them.
http://www.diystompboxes.com/smfforum/index.php?topic=29816.0

Then maybe people here can help you get your gain up.

Glen

Mugshot

Quote from: biggy boy on May 18, 2009, 09:50:09 PM

Can you post your voltages at the transistors?

Go here to learn how to post them.
http://www.diystompboxes.com/smfforum/index.php?topic=29816.0

Then maybe people here can help you get your gain up.

Glen

aw sorry, i meant since the muff fuzz is a one-knobber, any way to add a gain pot to vary the gain? correct me if im wrong but isnt the 100K pot simply a control for the output?

biggy boy

You were saying it's not fuzzy, too clean.
Maybe your bias voltages at the transistors are off, this can effect your gain (volume) and fuzziness.
If you post the voltages them people here can help you :icon_smile:

Mugshot

Quote from: biggy boy on May 19, 2009, 07:44:31 AM
Maybe your bias voltages at the transistors are off, this can effect your gain (volume) and fuzziness.

awts, sorry for that. i was supposed to check the voltages last night but lazy-me forgot again.  ;D

it's fuzzy alright, now that ive changed the diodes to LEDs. 1N34s didnt seem to work at least for me.

im waiting for the 2N5088s (higher gain). maybe it'll do the trick for me. ;)

Mugshot

Quote from: Mugshot on May 19, 2009, 08:24:58 PM
Quote from: biggy boy on May 19, 2009, 07:44:31 AM

awts, sorry for that. i was supposed to check the voltages last night but lazy-me forgot again.  ;D

it's fuzzy alright, now that ive changed the diodes to LEDs. 1N34s didnt seem to work at least for me.

im waiting for the 2N5088s (higher gain). maybe it'll do the trick for me. ;)

good aftie people (well, at least in my place)!

the voltages seem to be fine, and it's fuzzy alright. the 2n5088 i ordered havent arrived yet, so im thinking of playing with the diodes this time  ;D

1) from what i see in the schemo and layout, the two diodes are soldered back-to-back and connected to the ground and output of the circuit, so im thinking the LEDs no longer have positive and negative ends right?(?). so do you think it'd be alright to solder a 4-diode rectifier (four IN4001s) and replace the clipping LEDs(?) i have on mine? if so, how? im thinking the ends of the rectifier gets soldered to output-ground connection and letting the positive and negative ends to float.