Phase Evolution!

Started by frequencycentral, May 23, 2009, 09:31:04 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

frequencycentral

Quote from: mth5044 on July 10, 2009, 04:59:47 PM
Ohhh where are the sound clips?  ;D

Ah! I didn't get around to that, I'll add some soon!

Quote from: R.G. on July 10, 2009, 06:30:50 PM
Quote from: Cliff Schecht on May 26, 2009, 02:40:45 AM
Usually I feel lazy after seeing a thread like this, but I have 2300 boards shipping in from China sometime this week :D.

Here's to hoping that all of the boards artwork is correct!
You don't do a two-board prototype build on new artwork??  :icon_eek:

Is a compliment?
http://www.frequencycentral.co.uk/

Questo è il fiore del partigiano morto per la libertà!

Taylor

Quote from: frequencycentral on July 10, 2009, 06:51:59 PM
Usually I feel lazy after seeing a thread like this, but I have 2300 boards shipping in from China sometime this week :D.

Is a compliment?

I don't think he's talking about your phaser, I think he means that it's a good idea that, whenever you're doing PCB artwork for a huge run of boards, it's a good idea to get just a couple of boards made first, to build. This way you can be sure there's no tiny (or huge) screwup somewhere in the layout, so you're not sitting on 2300 boards that can't be used or sold. I guess 2 just to make sure the first one's not a fluke?

frequencycentral

Ah, ok, I understand now!  :icon_redface:

El Heisenberg

"Your meth is good, Jesse. As good as mine."

Cliff Schecht

No traces or parts were modified, just a few silkscreen tweaks. I checked the boards extensively with multiple gerber viewers. Not the same as holding physical evidence in your hand but gives one a good idea of what the silkscreens will look like. Plus it was 12 different boards, not 2300 of the same thing!

R.G.

Quote from: Cliff Schecht on August 02, 2009, 03:20:13 AM
No traces or parts were modified, just a few silkscreen tweaks. I checked the boards extensively with multiple gerber viewers. Not the same as holding physical evidence in your hand but gives one a good idea of what the silkscreens will look like. Plus it was 12 different boards, not 2300 of the same thing!
OK, my faith in you is much restored.  :icon_biggrin:

My experience is that Mother Nature is much better at remembering picky rules of what has to be perfect than I am.  :icon_lol:  If it's just silkscreen changes, that makes perfect sense. My own rule is (a) never, never commit to PCB something you haven't prototyped in perf or plugboard and (b) never, never commit production quantities until you have tested a short-run proto of the actual (copper) artwork.

The worst nightmare I ever had as an engineer is the idea that something I'd overlooked would let the protos and test victim units work OK, but would fail after a few days in the customer's hands. There is not a good resolution to that scenario.
R.G.

In response to the questions in the forum - PCB Layout for Musical Effects is available from The Book Patch. Search "PCB Layout" and it ought to appear.

El Heisenberg

frequencycentral

Top Top

remind me to never show you the insides of my projects ;D

panterafanatic

Quote from: Top Top on August 05, 2009, 08:37:59 PM
remind me to never show you the insides of my projects ;D

this is my thought. my bass fuzz is a jumble mess of wires to the pots switches and jacks i se that and my jaw hits the floor. i'm new to this and all, but i'm pretty sure i'll never get to designing  a second part of a phaser.

your work is amazing dude
-Jared

N.S.B.A. ~ Coming soon

El Heisenberg

Quote from: frequencycentral on August 05, 2009, 07:22:54 PM
Quote from: El Heisenberg on August 01, 2009, 07:39:35 PM
Clips??

Quote from: El Heisenberg on August 05, 2009, 07:21:12 PM
Clips??

Did someone want clips? OK, tomorrow. I promise.

lol thabks. Im waiting on parts for a phase 45 and am interested in doing this.  And now that i know wuts possible with perf populating ill have ta push myself to go smaller and smaller. I thought i was pretty good! I build point to point alot.

El Heisenberg

Aw man no sounds :(

i need to match the transistors. Im not sure how to do this. But i only have 4 anyway  :-\

El Heisenberg

For my regular phase 45. I will get around to adding the other stages later. I cant hope to build it that tightly and clean.

frequencycentral

JFET matching fixture: http://www.geofex.com/Article_Folders/fetmatch/fetmatch.gif

I haven't forgotten about soundclips - it's just finding time.

El Heisenberg

Yea i was looking at that earlier. There was also somethibg on runoffgroove in the fetzer valve article, but i only have 4 2n5957s anyway.

Anyone notice that on the jc mallet schem, it shows a diagram of the pinout for the dual op amp and it is totally wrong???

frequencycentral

Quote from: El Heisenberg on August 11, 2009, 12:40:22 PM
Yea i was looking at that earlier. There was also somethibg on runoffgroove in the fetzer valve article, but i only have 4 2n5957s anyway.

I've read that some folks don't bother matching - so you might be lucky. I personally find that matching is fun.

Quote from: El Heisenberg on August 11, 2009, 12:40:22 PM
Anyone notice that on the jc mallet schem, it shows a diagram of the pinout for the dual op amp and it is totally wrong???

Yeah, he's reversed the +ve with the output. I never noticed that before. I tend to have pinouts for opamps (and tubes) permanently written to my inbuilt organic hard disk anyway, so didn't even look at JC's pinout. Suffice to say, the pinouts in my layout are correct.

El Heisenberg

Ugh, the phase 45 always gives me problems. This is the third time ive ever breadboarded it and this is the closest ive gotten to get it workin. Only a few tiny substitutions for resistors. But the volume is way low. Unusable. A boost in front will make the signal loud enough, but theres no phase effect. Bwah! Nothing else does this to me! Ive built bigger crazier circuits than this. But i cant even get it rite on the breadboard!

El Heisenberg

With four fets will it be much more crucial to match them alm thab if i just used two??

i rebuilt the Normal phase 45 On the breadboard, got the same problem. Low output. Phase works fine.

jacobyjd

Matching is important to get a balanced phasing sweep--I'm not sure that the mismatch would cause your volume problem. It's debug time!
Warsaw, Indiana's poetic love rock band: http://www.bellwethermusic.net

El Heisenberg

I only have 4 :(

Out of .01 caps too. :(

so poor