Cheap high-uF ceramics (10% tol) at Mouser

Started by 80k, May 27, 2009, 01:25:05 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

I was digging around the capacitor selections at Mouser, and was surprised to find some very cheap ceramic capacitors for high values (1uF to 10uF), with 10% tolerance. They are also quite small.

The brand is TDK and they are multilater ceramic capacitors. (all prices are for each, if you order at least 25)
Mouser #FK24X7R1E105K: 1uF, 10% tol, $0.18
Mouser #FK24X7R1C225K: 2.2uF, 10% tol, $0.18
Mouser #FK26X7R1C475K: 4.7uF, 10% tol, $0.22
Mouser #FK26Y5V1C106Z: 10uF, -20%/+80% tol, $0.20
Mouser #FK22Y5V1C476Z: 47uF, -20%/+80% tol, $1.34

For the 1uF, 2.2uF, 4.7uF, there are -20%/80% tolerance ones available for a few pennies less.
For the 10uF, there is a 10% tolerance one for about double the price.

Also those are all rated at 16V or higher.

I'm wondering if anyone has used these, and whether they are good alternatives to electrolytics? I figure they will last longer, and the tolerance is actually tighter (for the 10% tol ones) than the Xicons that I use (that are 20%). Biggest reason I can see for using them is longevity. Those values cover most of the values I need, except for the larger power-filtering caps, in which case I would still use electrolytics. (and I probably would not spring for the $1.34 price tag on the 47uF, but I included it above for those interested).

Lurco

earthtonesaudio

Are these SMD or through-hole?

Another good reason to use these instead of electro's is they're non-polar.

[edit] Just looked, indeed they are through-hole.

Quote from: Lurco on May 27, 2009, 02:13:36 PM
the benefits of SMD evolution!

I'm curious what you mean by that? these are through-hole parts.

JKowalski

Quote from: 80k on May 27, 2009, 02:17:21 PM

I think he's talking about how the need for large value surface mount capacitors have spurred the development of new capacitor manufacturing methods - which gives us these.

Lurco

Quote from: JKowalski on May 27, 2009, 03:04:19 PM
Quote from: 80k on May 27, 2009, 02:17:21 PM

I think he's talking about how the need for large value surface mount capacitors have spurred the development of new capacitor manufacturing methods - which gives us these.

bingo  :icon_smile: !

Ah, that makes sense! Thanks.

Yea, i am picking up a bunch of the 1uF to 10uF values to try out. Might even pick up a couple of the 47uF ones.

The cheapest 10uF ones are of the 10V variety, unfortunately. Should be no problem for most needs, but just a heads up for those that are interested in using them for 18V effects or something.

Doing a little research on these, it sounds like higher value ceramics tend to be microphonic. Would this tend to pose a problem in effects circuits? Is this something I would notice right away, or something that happens as it ages?

John Lyons

Interesting. I had not noticed those yet.
The shape of the cap should keep if from being microphonic to some extent.
That and being new manufature. I'm not sure how much the value would affect
the micrphony :) I'll have to order a few of these and try them out.
Thanks for the heads up.

john

Basic Audio Pedals
www.basicaudio.net/

Cool, i'm placing an order probably tomorrow as well.

I've read on this forum that for power filtering, the big electrolytics that we use are not typically good at filtering higher frequencies, and that a smaller ceramic should be added to help.

Are ceramics better suited for power supply filtering than electrolytics? For instance, could we skip the electrolytic altogether and put in a 22uF or 47uF ceramic capacitor across V+ and ground?

petemoore

Microphonic might be cool, find a place for input and have the 'preamp tube shakin' input' mojo' of a combo amp, and all the reverberations that tubes get [of course] and lol. I kinda doubt they'd make good amp-feedback microphones like 12ax7's.
  Whether these caps process electrons more effeciently when they come in HF waves is certainly a point of interest [reducing/eliminating? the need to use a large and small value to cover the relevant frequency band for filtering etc.]

Convention creates following, following creates convention.

Quote from: petemoore on May 28, 2009, 09:39:45 AM
  Microphonic might be cool, find a place for input and have the 'preamp tube shakin' input' mojo' of a combo amp, and all the reverberations that tubes get [of course] and lol. I kinda doubt they'd make good amp-feedback microphones like 12ax7's.
  Whether these caps process electrons more effeciently when they come in HF waves is certainly a point of interest [reducing/eliminating? the need to use a large and small value to cover the relevant frequency band for filtering etc.]

Yea, too bad it'll be hard for me to test since all my power supplies are good quality, and I've never noticed a difference in sound, regarding adding or removing the power filtering caps. I might just put in a couple of 22uF caps in parallel and skip the electrolytic.

On that note, the 22uF ceramics I was thinking of buying are only rated at 10V. If I put two of these in parallel, would that change the effective max voltage that is allowed to run through the caps? edit: answered my own question. It cannot handle more than 10V despite having two in parallel.

BTW,
Just a heads up. Mouser's attached spec sheet is for the wrong series. They really should fix that!

Here is the spec sheet for this series of TDK capacitors, directly from TDK's website: Multi-layer ceramic spec sheet

Well doing some more reading on these multi-layer/monolithic capacitors, it seems that I'm having my doubts on them.

I think the X7R series caps are ok, as the capacitance variance is not bad. Those are the ones I listed earlier at 1uF to 4.7uF values.

However, the ones that use the Y5V dielectric, on the other hand, can lose over 80% of its capacitance if you have any more than a few volts running through them, considering they are only rated at 10V or so.

I may pick up a couple of Y5V so I can take a listen and see what happens, but won't be buying many (nor will I be buying the pricey 22uF and 47uF ones). The X7R's, I might take a chance and buy a slightly larger quantity (to get discount) as they seem like they are decent.

Curious if anyone else has done any research and come to any other conclusions?