Boss Cs-3 Mod

Started by served, June 04, 2009, 03:44:16 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

served

Hello.

I recently got Boss Cs3 , but i dont like it.
My freind has Monte Allums opto moded CS-3 and it rocks.
Is there a schematic to perform this modification on my own?

A.

R O Tiree

Well, if your friend has done the Monte Allums mod, then he should also still have the instruction sheet, so all you have to do is purchase the parts for it...

...unless he bought it modded...

...in which case, all you have to do is crack open both cases and see what was changed.

If you decide to do this mod, don't bother with changing D1 (1N4002) for one of the 3 Ge diodes supplied with the kit (1N34). It's the so-called polarity protection diode. Heaven knows what Monte Allums is doing changing that one, because it's connected reverse-biased between +9V and Gnd. That piddly little Ge will pop in a heartbeat and you'll still get 9V the wrong way through the whole circuit. If he'd said put it between the battery/power jack pad and the 9V rail forward biased, then he might have a point...

If you decide to bite the bullet and pay for this, it's not too much of a high price to pay, is it? $22 to cover his time, sourcing stock, very clear instructions, postage, and making a living from this. And the opto-plus mod, which includes an adaptor to enable you to replace one of Boss' cheap and nasty opamps with a "stacked pair" (RC4558P and OPA2134PA) to reduce a lot of the noise is intriguing.

I'd re-iterate the point about the fact that Monte Allums is trying to make a living out of this. It's like Keeley and analogman mods - you can bet your boots that people have "reverse-engineered" these pedals to find out what's been done and to see what all the fuss is about. It is a testament to those people's integrity that the details of these mods have not been widely splashed around the net.
...you fritter and waste the hours in an off-hand way...

askwho69

Which opamps was replace to lessen the noise?
"To live is to die"