Multimeter Advice

Started by f50jack, June 04, 2009, 06:12:24 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

f50jack

I am looking to upgrade my multimeter and was wondering if any one can suggest something in particular. I was told that the Fluke products are nice, does anyone have any experience with them. Thanks

JACK

biggy boy

Quote from: f50jack on June 04, 2009, 06:12:24 PM
I am looking to upgrade my multimeter and was wondering if any one can suggest something in particular. I was told that the Fluke products are nice, does anyone have any experience with them. Thanks

JACK

I own four fluke meters, they are good meters but can be expensive to buy for hobbie type use.
My work ones get calabrated every year. My home ones don't. I also have a cheap $100.00 meter that works just as good as the $600.00 flukes.
I think for hobbie stuff a cheap meter works ok.

waltk

I have a Fluke 87 III that I got in '93 or '94.  It has performed flawlessly in all these years.  My Fluke meter has most of features I want, but the most important one to me is confidence (that it will continue to last and give good readings).  The 87 series has been around for a while, and you can probably find a used one at a good price.  I would prefer a used Fluke over most other brands new.  The one thing it doesn't measure well is capacitance.  So I have have a dedicated LCR meter for that.  You can find new DMMs that have decent LCR functions built in, but I don't have any experience with them.

zeeman

Quote from: waltk on June 04, 2009, 10:49:14 PM
I have a Fluke 87 III that I got in '93 or '94.  It has performed flawlessly in all these years.  My Fluke meter has most of features I want, but the most important one to me is confidence (that it will continue to last and give good readings).  The 87 series has been around for a while, and you can probably find a used one at a good price.  I would prefer a used Fluke over most other brands new.  The one thing it doesn't measure well is capacitance.

I also have an 87 so I would agree with what waltk said.

zeeman

juse

Flukes are the standard. I used them in the military for years. They are expensive, but if you look around, deals can be found. I just bought a fluke 70 for $30 at a pawn shop & have seen them for under $70 on fleabay. The old 70 is a Plain Jane meter, but does most of what I need. I also have other el cheapo meters for different functions, because I can't justify spending the big bucks for a decked out fluke. But, a fluke is definitely worth having and shopping around for. It will likely serve you from now on.

frank_p

Why Flukes are considered so good compared to other brands ?

MikeH

I don't know, but get one with a continuity tester on it (most do).  I don't know how I debugged anything before I had one
"Sounds like a Fab Metal to me." -DougH

StereoKills

+1 on Fluke brand multimeters. I use one at work and I prefer it over the cheaper one I own myself.
"Sometimes it takes a thousand notes to make one sound"

Andi

I have a Fluke - got it as part of a redundancy package, strangely enough. It's good; the battery lasts ages and the readings are consistent.

However, it doesn't do capacitance. I bought a cheapo meter to measure that and it's within 5% of the Fluke's reading on everything else. My conclusion (possibly incorrect) is that unless you need better than 5% accuracy a cheapo is good enough.

juse

Quote from: frank_p on June 05, 2009, 02:47:19 PM

Why Flukes are considered so good compared to other brands ?

Quality, accuracy/precision, ruggedness, dependability, longevity, etc.

I've seen fluke meters abused beyond belief and still be perfect at calibration time.

They're just nice.

frank_p

Thanks Juse, I know also some people  who swear by them.  I also used some in school, but I was wondering if they could be overrated.

LiquidMetal

This is probably the other end of the spectrum you are looking for but I found a multimeter on sale for $3.99 at the local Harbor Freight Tools (http://www.harborfreight.com/cpi/ctaf/displayitem.taf?Itemnumber=90899).  Curious how they sell so cheap and still manage to make profit....

arma61

Quote from: LiquidMetal on June 06, 2009, 12:46:14 AM
  Curious how they sell so cheap and still manage to make profit....

they don't...see   the price is now $4.99  :D
"it's a matter of objectives. If you don't know where you want to go, any direction is about as good as any other." R.G. Keen

kristoffereide

the ones they sell on Banzai are good. Trany-tester and everything you need.

http://www.banzaieffects.com/Multimeters-c-1180.html
Quote from: biggy boy on April 12, 2009, 06:22:33 PM
I find it funny how I can have close to 1000 components, yet I never seem to have enough parts to make a project. :icon_eek: