reading suggestions

Started by Vitrolin, June 05, 2009, 08:59:21 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Vitrolin

hi i would like to know if somebody has any ideas for books.
since i would like to study, and get a clearer understanding on how this stuff works, and so being able to make my own designs based on knowledge rather than guesswork, well some guessing will always be involved ;).

i hope you guys can help me out a bit, thanks

R.G.

R.G.

In response to the questions in the forum - PCB Layout for Musical Effects is available from The Book Patch. Search "PCB Layout" and it ought to appear.

JKowalski

R O Tiree

Also the "Student Manual for That Art Of Electronics", which includes labs and worked examples. Get both books.
...you fritter and waste the hours in an off-hand way...

MoltenVoltage

Zen and the art of motorcycle maintenance.

gave me the focus I needed when I needed it

don't be thrown by the title
MoltenVoltage.com for PedalSync audio control chips - make programmable and MIDI-controlled analog pedals!

Vitrolin

Quote from: R O Tiree on June 06, 2009, 03:07:42 AM
Also the "Student Manual for That Art Of Electronics", which includes labs and worked examples. Get both books.

i've looked at it in some online bookstores but it 20 years old, isn't that an issue? or would this only outdate the digital part of the book?

thank you

R O Tiree

Sure, some of the parts they refer to might be out of date, but the concepts remain the same. The first few chapters are incredibly useful for the kinds of questions people have been asking recently about biasing, impedance, etc. The Student Manual for TAOE is written quite informally, with worked examples and it refers you throughout to the relevant sections of TAOE itself. So, you get a feel for what's going on with the Student Manual, then look in the big book for more details and the more rigorous maths (which is still kept sensible, BTW).

CynicalMan

R.G.

Quote from: Vitrolin on June 06, 2009, 05:58:15 PM
i've looked at it in some online bookstores but it 20 years old, isn't that an issue? or would this only outdate the digital part of the book?
Electrons have changed remarkably little in the last 20 years. Some of it may still be applicable.  :icon_biggrin:
R.G.

In response to the questions in the forum - PCB Layout for Musical Effects is available from The Book Patch. Search "PCB Layout" and it ought to appear.

Vitrolin

thank you all very much for your replies, have done some reading on some of the above mentioned pages, but i don't like to read on pc screens an its hard to make notes in the margin.

Mark Hammer

Craig Anderton's books got many of the oldest folks here started, so they're always a good recommendation.  If you were on the other side of the Atlantic, then it would have been the various books by "Uncle" Robert Penfold, published by Babani.

One of Anderton's books that too often gets short shrift as far I'm concerned is his book "Guitar Gadgets".  It's a nice overview of what things/controls DO in pedals of different categories.  Not particularly electronic in its orientation, but it provides a nice bird's-eye view of what one can expect from different categories/classes of effects.

The back issues of DEVICE that are posted on my own site are a nice read - http://hammer.ampage.org ...see pages 10/11 - as are the issues of Stompboxology posted on Charlie Barth's "Moosapotamus" site.

Vitrolin

i dont know which side would be the "other" side of the atlantic, but i'm shure you mean UK vs US, i'm in south america :)

Mark Hammer

Yes, I meant our European cousins.  I have absolutely no idea what the equivalent would be south of the Equator. :icon_redface:

R O Tiree

Quote from: Mark Hammer on June 08, 2009, 10:54:52 AM
Craig Anderton's books got many of the oldest folks here started, so they're always a good recommendation.  If you were on the other side of the Atlantic, then it would have been the various books by "Uncle" Robert Penfold, published by Babani.

I still have all my Babani books and a number of them are Robert Penfold's. I had a bit of a revival of interest in the late 80's in electronics, then my ex and me had kids, so that was that for a long while. It wasn't until I picked up a guitar for the first time about 6 or 7 years ago that my interest was fired again. Had to re-learn most of it... :icon_redface: R.G.'s right, though - electrons haven't changed much in that time ;D