Fan of switches.

Started by humptydumpty, June 08, 2009, 02:24:32 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

humptydumpty

But also a noob, for now.

I am going to build a noisy cricket amp, and I want a Battry/DC jack switch, choosing one or the other.
Is this how I would go about wiring it?

sjaltenb

looks good to me. although you know you can use a DC jack that automatically makes the switch if you unplug the power supply from the jack. That might now however be what you are after! Just throwing it out there...

humptydumpty

Yeah that's kind of what I want, but I think switches look nicer in the end, hence me wanting this.

Thanks for the reply.

MikeH

To me what would make the most sense would be to wire it up with the switching jack and battery snap (so that the battery is disconnected if the dc is plugged in) and then add a power witch that turns the power off and on, to disconnect both. 
"Sounds like a Fab Metal to me." -DougH

punkin

If going with this hard switch idea, do you really need to switch both ground and power? Seems to me as long as the switch breaks before make that all the negative/ground connections could be hard wired together? Any objections to this idea?
Ernie Ball Music Man - JPM, THD Univalve, Grace Big Daddy, PepperShredder, BSIAB2, FireFly Amplifier.

humptydumpty

Quote from: MikeH on June 08, 2009, 11:39:47 AM
To me what would make the most sense would be to wire it up with the switching jack and battery snap (so that the battery is disconnected if the dc is plugged in) and then add a power witch that turns the power off and on, to disconnect both. 

Yeah that is also what I am doing, but I really like switches haha, so that on top of this.

slacker

Like Steph said there's no need to switch the grounds. Just have the switch select between battery + or DC +.

humptydumpty

Quote from: slacker on June 08, 2009, 02:02:50 PM
Like Steph said there's no need to switch the grounds. Just have the switch select between battery + or DC +.

And connect all the negatives, only having positive on the switch?

slacker

Yes you can just connect all the grounds together. You then just need some way to cut the power to the board, otherwise if the battery is selected it will drain when the amp is off, I guess that's what your power switch is going to do.

humptydumpty

Quote from: slacker on June 08, 2009, 03:03:30 PM
Yes you can just connect all the grounds together. You then just need some way to cut the power to the board, otherwise if the battery is selected it will drain when the amp is off, I guess that's what your power switch is going to do.

No, there will be a power switch on the amp itself.

Thanks for the help!

humptydumpty

Would this be an appropriate PCB design?

humptydumpty

Barcode80

humptydumpty