wah inductor, whooping noise?

Started by panterafanatic, June 19, 2009, 09:05:00 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

panterafanatic

so guys, i tried my hand at winding my own halo clone from the small bear elec kit. and when the effect is on i get no guitar noise. i got from no sound, to a constant whooooooop noise. the further i pressed down the high pitched it got and separated into whoop whoop whoop and went faster until again no sound. do i just need to unwind it a bit? i'll be buying a multimeter eventually that can do inductance if it matter.

any help? btw first post on here. so if its in the wrong spot, please forgive me.

im jared btw

edit: i took about 75 windings off of it, but im waiting to test it, i might trade the wah. i put the original inductor back in place
-Jared

N.S.B.A. ~ Coming soon

petemoore

The inexpensive inductors 'work'.
  Better inductors do work better, especially when that's the case.
  Kudo's for picking a tough tree to climb, I don't know how so because I buy my wound inductors and just about every other coil I use.
  Seems like you should be able to get something to work, but there are a lot of variables, if everything else in the circuit works [with a known good inductor] I guess it's backt o the drawing board for DIY inductor prototyping.
  The only help I can really be is for the kudos on choosing a trick winding to tackle.
  No shorts, spacing, magnet type, wire type, # of winds...all that I think needs to be balanced.
Convention creates following, following creates convention.

WLTerry

Maybe you plug your Wah in the wrong way... I mean, the output in the Wah In and your guitar in the Out jack. That Wah behavior that you are describing is the "seagull effect" used by David Gilmour in the song "Echoes" by Pink Floyd. I hope I have not mistaken.

Will

panterafanatic

it worked fine with the red fasel that dunlop had in it stock. i hope it was just highly overwound. i've learned a little about them since deciding to wind my own for shi*s and giggles. and the 2nd winding came out like 3 times nicer that the first. im getting a crybaby original soon to mod, so i'll get that working then try out my inductors on it.

the magnets and all are set for you. basically you control winding patterns and # of winds. i did this because i wanna wind a few humbuckers, but i figured i'd spend 15 on an inductor to wind rather than 100 to do a set of humbuckers.
-Jared

N.S.B.A. ~ Coming soon

Paul Marossy

That's weird that it "whoops". If the inductor had a broken winding, then the wah pedal should still work (pass a signal), you just wouldn't have any wah effect.

It sounds like it's oscillating at a very low frequency...

petemoore

I admire your push to wind coils !
  Mine was side tracked but I did make a flat spot on the side of an old sewing machine, and a color-code-string-counter which utilizes it's upright shaft [which turns 1 time for every 25 turns of the main crank].
  ...As far as I got so far.
  Kudos !
Convention creates following, following creates convention.

panterafanatic

i didnt use a counter or a machine, just wound it while watching tv, helps th time pass, even just hearing a show that you like. it's not that bad. i might take out a cassette player's motor to assist. or get a cheap sewing machine. except i'll put a mod so it has more resistance so it can only go SO fast. pm me if you are interested in this idea.

edit: paul, i was just happy that it conducts tbh
-Jared

N.S.B.A. ~ Coming soon

CynicalMan

Quote from: WLTerry on June 20, 2009, 01:23:01 AM
Maybe you plug your Wah in the wrong way... I mean, the output in the Wah In and your guitar in the Out jack. That Wah behavior that you are describing is the "seagull effect" used by David Gilmour in the song "Echoes" by Pink Floyd. I hope I have not mistaken.

Will

What panterafanatic is describing sounds just like that.

panterafanatic

its weird though, i really dont think i put it in backwards. maybe i'll check tonight after dinner. just to give it a 2nd run. but i dont get why its doing that.
-Jared

N.S.B.A. ~ Coming soon

Paul Marossy

Quote from: panterafanatic on June 21, 2009, 09:40:26 AM
its weird though, i really dont think i put it in backwards. maybe i'll check tonight after dinner. just to give it a 2nd run. but i dont get why its doing that.

Just a clarification: That sound referred to above will only happen if you plug your guitar into the output jack of the wah pedal and if you have the input of the wah pedal connected to the amp. Inductors are not directional, there isn't any way to put one in backwards.

panterafanatic

i know. but what if i just overwound it severely? what would happen? ive taken roughly 75 windings off of it after wards. i dont have  multimeter to do guass yet. i'll put it in tonight and update you guys.
-Jared

N.S.B.A. ~ Coming soon

Scruffie

Not a clue about inductor wiring, but I have some idea on pickup winding... in which case, could it be a break or short in the wind oscilatting? does it need potting? just some random ideas check out www.projectguitar.com for pickup wiring

panterafanatic

it hasnt ben potted yet. but it shouldnt happen just by the potting, the potting makes it less noisy and discourages feedback more than anything. i would use was to post this, the enamel would melt WAY too fast. im gonna start up my soldering iron soon.
-Jared

N.S.B.A. ~ Coming soon

panterafanatic

IT WORKS IT WORKS. and it has a sexii wah too.  ;D
-Jared

N.S.B.A. ~ Coming soon

Paul Marossy

Quote from: panterafanatic on June 21, 2009, 08:38:30 PM
IT WORKS IT WORKS. and it has a sexii wah too.  ;D

Wow, cool. So what was it?!

panterafanatic

idk, i think i over wound it. like i said i took off 75 wraps or so off. i gotta check the resistance at some point, and once i get a cheap multimeter, the inductance too. it sounds f*cking sweet. so much better soloing sound. im not that good at solos but it fuc*ing sings man. im putting in a mod to switch between the two inductors soon. once i wind a couple more, im gonna switch to different gauge wire to see the effect. gonna mod the wah to have a 6 range cap switch too. also, its a little noisy. but i dont have it potted and the bottom was off the wah and the bottom was face up during testing, just to see how it sounds. i'm gonna pot t once i get some polyester or clear nail polish. guys im in such a good damn mood.
-Jared

N.S.B.A. ~ Coming soon

Paul Marossy

Quote from: panterafanatic on June 21, 2009, 09:16:45 PM
idk, i think i over wound it. like i said i took off 75 wraps or so off. i gotta check the resistance at some point, and once i get a cheap multimeter, the inductance too. it sounds f*cking sweet. so much better soloing sound. im not that good at solos but it fuc*ing sings man. im putting in a mod to switch between the two inductors soon. once i wind a couple more, im gonna switch to different gauge wire to see the effect. gonna mod the wah to have a 6 range cap switch too. also, its a little noisy. but i dont have it potted and the bottom was off the wah and the bottom was face up during testing, just to see how it sounds. i'm gonna pot t once i get some polyester or clear nail polish. guys im in such a good damn mood.

Huh, that's weird. I would think that would only change the inductance a little bit, not cause a weird problem like that...

panterafanatic

yeah. the inductance shouldnt change too much from such a thin gauge. i wonder if i did plug it in the wrong wah. idk though, i swear i remember checking to make sure before i tested the first time. i wanna get a few more of these under my belt tbh. you probably have no ida how excited i was, i just went and started messing around, sounds so much better than the dunlop did on the high notes imo.

cheap project too. under 15 bucks for everythnig, i used almost a full spool because im a dumbas*. i'll get 2 or 3 inductors out of a spool the next time i buy, i think i ordered the parts on my last order from smallbear. i'm liking this wah modding thing. i'm gonna end up like dime, having like 1000325250283250 types of the same friggen effect.  :D i wish i could get a sound clip up. but i have no recording stuff yet, i'll get a tonport if a guy i know buys this one mixer he wants. hopefully that'll work out for me
-Jared

N.S.B.A. ~ Coming soon