What kind of math is that anyway?!?

Started by BillyJ, September 25, 2003, 01:57:19 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

BillyJ

OK RG and other write this stuff all the time. It seems to be an abbreviation of sorts. V for volts. / for dividing (I think) and all these other symbols.
What is this calculus? Algebra?
Where can a drop out with no free time learn more about this stuff so I can follow along and learn some stuff?
I know this has to be on the lines of schematic. They look impossible to decipher at first but with some knowledge and pratice it gets easier.
Can someone help me out by telling me what this math is and where I can find some more about it?

Big Thanks!!!

Mike Nichting

From one dropout to another ( I was supposed to be a rock star!!!) learn Ohm's law forward and backwards. Try the library for beginners books for electronics and they go over the math equations etc. that you need.
I don't have a grip on all of the equations but once you start learning ohm's law and you build some stuff it will click eventually :-)

Good luck bro,
mike Nichting
"It's not pollution thats hurting the earth, it's the impurities in the water and air that are doing it".
Quoted from a Vice President Al Gore speech

drew

You've just gotta dig in and read some beginner's books on the subject. There are some web pages, but none of them do as good a job as sitting down and just reading a book.

When I was young (probably 8-10-ish) I got really, really interested in electronics and bought Forrest Mims's books about electronics... they are all wonderfully illustrated, written for adults but easily understood by the young, and start off with the most basic theories about electrons and electricity and work up through basic components (resistor, capacitor, transistor, inductor, transformer, diodes) all the way to applications of circuits with ICs and intermediate amplifier design. I bought them at Radio Shack years ago, and if you're not able to find them there, you should be able to find them SOMEWHERE online. I think I got the first and most basic one for $2.95 since that's the price on the cover... and I still look at it from time to time for refreshers!

drew
toothpastefordinner.com

AL

Give this a read.  Scroll down the page and there are a bunch of tutorials on the left.  http://www.electronics-tutorials.com/
Hope it helps.  Cheers

AL

Mike Nichting

Heres another site to look at and it explains things very simply.
It's about car electronics but it is about electronics first.

Check it out.
http://www.eatel.net/~amptech/elecdisc/caraudio.htm

Mike
"It's not pollution thats hurting the earth, it's the impurities in the water and air that are doing it".
Quoted from a Vice President Al Gore speech