Clean Boost w/ Bass and Treble Control?

Started by sevenisthenumber, June 22, 2009, 01:32:47 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

sevenisthenumber

Anyone know of a simple clean boost circuit that has volume/bass/treble? Just want something to shape tone at the front end with some boost...?
Thanks guys!

Al Heeley

I came across the Tonemender with a mid ctrl as well, looks pretty interesting
www.runoffgroove.com
http://www.runoffgroove.com/tonemender.html

The Tonemender is a very flexible, yet simple clean boost with a 3-knob tonestack that allows the user to re-create the classic Fender, Marshall and Vox responses.

We suggest using a TLC2272 for the dual op-amp. The TLC2272 is rated for low-noise and rail-to-rail output, which will offer the highest possible clean boost and dynamic range. The NE5532 is another good choice, but a TL072 can also be used with decent results.

The Mid Shift switch (SW1 on the schematic) selects the center frequency of the midrange dip in the response. The center frequency is moved from around 700Hz (Marshall/Vox) down to 400Hz (Fender) in the HI and LO settings, respectively.

For Fender-style curves, the Mid Shift is placed in the LO setting (closed). To replicate Marshall-style curves, switch the Mid Shift to the HI position (open). Set the Mid control between 12:00 and 5:00 for traditional Marshall settings, with lower settings providing additional flexibility. For a Vox-style response, keep the Mid Shift in the HI setting and set the Mids control fixed at 10:00 and move the Bass between 7:00 and 12:00.

A "flat" equalizer position is set with the Bass and Treble both at minimum, and the Mid control at its midpoint. When Bass and Treble are fully cut, the Mid knob acts as an additional Level control, which is a familiar characteristic of the Fender tonestack.

doc_drop

I built one 2 weeks ago. I love it. It doesn't seem like it would be a very exciting circuit, but it is amazing for getting the circuits after it sounding exactly like I want. I am using a TL072 until I get the lower noise chip in the mail.

For a boost with EQ, you can't do any better.

Ben N

• SUPPORTER

BAARON

Quote from: sevenisthenumber on June 22, 2009, 01:32:47 PM
Anyone know of a simple clean boost circuit that has volume/bass/treble? Just want something to shape tone at the front end with some boost...?
Thanks guys!

http://www.generalguitargadgets.com/index.php?option=com_content&task=view&id=69&Itemid=26 The "Fat Boostered" version (by Paul Cochrane) has bass/treble/pregain/output controls.  I don't know how much undistorted headroom it has though.  (I say "undistorted headroom" instead of "clean headroom" because there's a bit of a kerfuffle about the meaning of the word "clean" right now, and I don't want to risk stepping on any more toes!  :P)
B. Aaron Ennis
If somebody makes a mistake, help them understand what went wrong.  Show them how to do it right.  Be helpful.  Don't just say "you're wrong, moron."