Sliders and Potentiometers. Re-casing an old Ibanez PQ9.

Started by sevenisthenumber, June 23, 2009, 08:50:51 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

sevenisthenumber

I am re-casing an old Ibanez PQ9 into a new box with an old TS9. (I know there vintage and I shouldnt....  It doesnt bother me..)

The PQ9 has 3 sliders:

I want to make those 3 sliders, regular pots.
I have what i believe is the schematic here:
http://www.box.net/shared/static/kl9eqgck1m.pdf

Can someone help me figure out if I put the equal value pot in place of the slider value will it work? Will the knob being straight up at 12 oclock be like having the slider in the middle. The PQ sliders in dead center are at 0. There is 15db above that zero and 15 db below on all three sliders.

Does this make since and if so, can someone help me confirm the value pot for each slider. I wanna make sure it sounds the same.

Much thanks.

Papa_lazerous

Not got time to look at the schematic right now, if you are in doubt about it, just remove the slideers one at a time from the pedal and measure the value and then you know you will be correct, and mid turn on the pot will be mid on the slider

Nitefly182

Youll need special pots that have a detent in the center and a special taper from that point on either side. I dont know what theyre called but Im pretty sure thats how they work.

sevenisthenumber

Quote from: Nitefly182 on June 23, 2009, 09:15:08 PM
Youll need special pots that have a detent in the center and a special taper from that point on either side. I dont know what theyre called but Im pretty sure thats how they work.

Any leads on where to find them? Thanks!

JKowalski

Quote from: sevenisthenumber on June 24, 2009, 12:39:38 AM
Quote from: Nitefly182 on June 23, 2009, 09:15:08 PM

Any leads on where to find them? Thanks!

I have never heard of that kind of slider, I thought it was just linear. In any case, you don't need them. You can just buy a standard pot with the same resistive value - but make sure it is linear and has no resistance taper (audio pots). The detent in the center would be nice, as you would feel exactly where the center of the tone controls are, but you can just see it too - you are right, at 12 o'clock, with a linear pot, it would be the same as the slider middle.