The birth of the Hide and Seek Wha

Started by solderman, June 25, 2009, 03:44:30 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

solderman

Hi all
I thought that I would share the birth of the Hide and Seek Wha. It's a Seek Wha that I have shrinked in to a 1590A box. Here is the semi verified project file. The lot will be on my site when it's ready.

http://solderman.fatabur.se/Future%20project/Lost%20Wha.pdf

Well first of all you need to have something to put your components on. I prefer to etch PCB instead of perf or vero. This one needs two PCB:s and here is the first one, the LFO part getting pierced. I use a diamond tipped drill bit that never gets dull butt snaps off really easy.
To drill PCB:s is the most boring ting there is. It's a sh*tty work but some one s got to do it. 

And here are both parts drilled and ready

OK when that boring stuff is done the fun begins, to solder the components in place. Roule number one, start with lowest part and work your way up. Jumpers first of cause.

Look, some progress made. Both the IC:s and the (trim) pots are there. Now it begins to look like something.

I usually make my own LDR/LED combo. First I'll take a 5mm LED and sand the top flat. Then I use super glue to glue the LDR to the LED. After that I take the whole thing and put it in a shrink tube. The LDR is about 5K-"a couple Mohm"

The LDR/LED combo and the gigantic 3,3uF poly Box cap goes on the solder side. I want to use the top of the IC:s for applying double sided tape to fixate the PCB to the box. And for the pot shafts to stick out as far as possible. I dons know why I positioned the 4017 this way. It would shure have been easyer if I had turned it 90 deg so that most of the jumpers would come out on the up side of the IC. Next time I'll do this PCB as a double sided PCB. But I did not have one in stock when I did this one.

So, next step is to solder the LEDs in to place. But before I can do that I'll need to drill the enclosure so I know how high I shall place them. This one calls for a lot of wholes and with faire amount of precision. To fix this I use a printout of the PCB and use a automatic puncher to mark where to drill.

Here is the result. Now its time to fit in the pot shafts and to solder the LED:s in place. To solder 8 LEDs at the same height was not as easy as I had anticipated, I drilled the wholes a bit to big (3,3mm) so the LED:s went through instead of staying on there flanger.

But after trying my patience the finally got there I decided to use green LED:s for those end sequences  that stops on 4,6 and 8.

OK ready set go. Now the LFO part is ready for some testing. I have to edmit that I'm quite winded up and a bit nervous at this point in all my builds. No difference this time. But at least this test went well.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kiVeA9W2-No

OK time to do the audio part. I won't tire you with all the details. Here is the result. Looks like the subway at 8 a clock a Monday morning.

So, time to do some art work. First I'll sand of the die cast blobs and clean the box with alcohol (the kind you get blind from, not the funny kind) and then it's time for the primer.

OK this is as far as I have got at the moment... To be continued....
The only bad sounding stomp box is an unbuilt stomp box. ;-)
//Take Care and build with passion

www.soldersound.com
xSolderman@soldersound.com (exlude x to mail)

jacobyjd

dude, you're not right in the head. I love it.

I also love your occasional slips in your English. You do a great job of communicating--it's the little things, like 'shrieking' that circuit in there. Just makes me laugh, man. Love your work.  :icon_biggrin:
Warsaw, Indiana's poetic love rock band: http://www.bellwethermusic.net

DougH

"I can explain it to you, but I can't understand it for you."

frequencycentral

http://www.frequencycentral.co.uk/

Questo è il fiore del partigiano morto per la libertà!

Valoosj

Impressive work. I was wondering when we would be able to look in awe at your next micro pedal.
Quote from: frequencycentral
You squeezed it into a 1590A - you insane fool!  :icon_mrgreen:
Quote from: Scruffie
Well this... this is just silly... this can't fit in a 1590B... can it? And you're not even using SMD you mad man!

earthtonesaudio

What's next, JCM2000 in a 1590A?   ;D

jacobyjd

Warsaw, Indiana's poetic love rock band: http://www.bellwethermusic.net

solderman

Quote from: jacobyjd on June 25, 2009, 03:49:20 PM
dude, you're not right in the head. I love it.

I also love your occasional slips in your English. You do a great job of communicating--it's the little things, like 'shrieking' that circuit in there. Just makes me laugh, man. Love your work.  :icon_biggrin:

Thanks'
I think this was the best in here yet "me spelling as I go along without reading"
Quote "But after trying my patients the finally got there I decided to use green LED:s for those ...."
I answered a thread her about designing effects by pointing out that the "gay" (should have been guy) who invented the spring reverb had smoked something else than tobacco.
Some one noticed the typo and laugh. I replied that "after reading it I saw how "fanny" it was. ;D

Might start to use the spelling button now and then :icon_mrgreen: 

www.soldersound.com

fuzzo

:o :o

really amazing. Your tinny pedas are very cool But don't you scared to breaking the pot. when you press the footswitch ? I mean if you play in slippers no problems but if you wear Doc Marteen's or New rock shoes that will be problematic ;D . Beside, you've to do a good shoot to press the good one :icon_lol:

Auke Haarsma

frequencycentral

Quote from: solderman on June 25, 2009, 04:15:06 PM
Might start to use the spelling button now and then :icon_mrgreen: 

It's not a spelling button it's a box with a...............oh whatever. ::)
http://www.frequencycentral.co.uk/

Questo è il fiore del partigiano morto per la libertà!

sean k

Hey Bro, I love your work but that dab painted jar beside the drillpress is really doing it for me. Going to use the diamond drill to put holes in that are we  ;D

Seriously though, I can realise the amount of thought and planning that goes into such tight enclosures and should really take to time to learn from what you've acheived, and acheiving.
Monkey see, monkey do.
Http://artyone.bolgtown.co.nz/

hendriko

:icon_eek:

AWESOME work! Can't wait to hear it:D
Gimme gimme shock treatment.

Renegadrian

Quote from: solderman on June 25, 2009, 03:44:30 PM
OK time to do the audio part. I won't tire you with all the details. Here is the result. Looks like the subway at 8 a clock a Monday morning.

ROTFL!!!
Done an' workin'=Too many to mention - Tube addict!

aziltz

Quote from: solderman on June 25, 2009, 03:44:30 PM

Look, some progress made. Both the IC:s and the (trim) pots are there. Now it begins to look like something.

can you tell me about these knobs that you've attached to the Trimpots?

soggybag

Great work. Looks like an ambitious project, and no surface mount parts either!

biggy boy

Very very cool 8) Simply amazing what you can fit in such a small box.

bean

danielzink

what ?

A Seek wha in a 1590 ?

hmpff........

I hadn't noticed...........................

:icon_eek:

I am SO on this.......

;D

Dan

solderman

In the sequel "The birth of the Hide and Seek Wha" Solderman proudly presents Part Two, with the subtitle "get wild and let your spray cans loose".

First of all, THANK'S FOR ALL KIND WORDS. It warms a DYI heart. I really appreciate it
OK down to business.....

After the primer it's time to choose a colour. This time Mr. Yellow won by a just plain luck.

But what has happened here?? MR Red has interfered and wants to join in.!! Let's see what happens. Well I did not know what to do when I looked up and saw my Gibson Honey burst and thought, Why not give it a tri? My first attempt to do a "burst" and I think it came out quite OK

I was concerned about the graphics. First I had an idée' to hand paint the letters to get them in some nice colours but then again my hand painting skill sucks so I defaulted back to the safe way, that's the water slide technique.

After the water slide has dried its time for clear coating. This is what it looks like after tree cotes of clear coating. I'm quite satisfied if I say so my self.

Now it has to rest for at least 24 hours so bear with me and I'll get back with the final part about the assembly and sound samples.

To be continued....

www.soldersound.com