Super plextortion

Started by caspercody, June 25, 2009, 04:23:58 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

caspercody

Has anyone seen the YouTube video of Brians new pedal? Sounds great. Anyone know which diy pedal here comes close to this sound?

dschwartz

search for texas brownie or DUI distortion...
I have a hunch that it´s based on those.. at least sound-wise and control-wise. I hope i´m wrong..
----------------------------------------------------------
Tubes are overrated!!

http://www.simplifieramp.com

caspercody

Thanks dschwartz, I love the sound of your pedals. I made the Distortus Maximus (hand wired), and just got the pcb board done tonight and I am going to make the changes you did for your Burning Crunch. I think I figured it out from your pcb layout. I see the changes you made for the tonestack, and looks like you changed some resistor and capacitor values. And added a 1uf to ground off the transistor.

I got from that post your schematic for the DUI, but was not sure what it was till now. Do you have a pcb layout for this? And it looks like the Texas Brownie is this pedal with some changes? I am thinking of starting to make the JCM800, Plexizer, and Diefet, but now I want to wait on them and build the Texas Brownie. Please help!!

Also, what changes did you do to the Dr Boogey to get the Dual Rectal?

Thanks

wampcat1

hi there! glad you like the pedal! I stated this on freestompboxes.com (IIRC) but basically what you have is a non-inverting gain stage into an inverting gain stage into a baxandall stage into a jfet gain stage. You'll get close by using the marshall guv'nor's first two stages as the clipping. swap out the 680k in the inverting stage via a switch to a 220k/ 470k. baxandall after the led clipping diodes. go from there into a jfet gain stage (1k source). you'll have to dumb down the signal a bit before the jfet gain stage - use a trim pot for maximum effectiveness.

Hope that helps! :)
bw

caspercody

Hey Brian thanks for for the reply. I love the tones on your new pedal, got your email yesterday about the link, and had to check it out. And thanks for writing the books you are selling. I got the modify, and build your own books. I do not know the detailed information about why this or that works. I can pretty much  build from a schematic, and incorporate changes others suggest. But other than that, it has been about 20 years since my electronics classes. I thank you for trying to describe how you designed your new pedal, but it does qand doesn't make sense. I would love to get a schematic of this pedal, and or your Pinnacle? I know you have a business to run, and understand whatever your answer is. But I had to ask. And everything I build is for me only, and built only once. Heck I hope to have enough money to build it once  :D

Paul Marossy

I like the Pinnacle a lot, it sounds great. And I am also digging the "Analog Echo" a lot, works great for ethereal sounding looper stuff.

wampcat1

Quote from: caspercody on June 26, 2009, 09:42:42 AM
Hey Brian thanks for for the reply. I love the tones on your new pedal, got your email yesterday about the link, and had to check it out. And thanks for writing the books you are selling. I got the modify, and build your own books. I do not know the detailed information about why this or that works. I can pretty much  build from a schematic, and incorporate changes others suggest. But other than that, it has been about 20 years since my electronics classes. I thank you for trying to describe how you designed your new pedal, but it does qand doesn't make sense. I would love to get a schematic of this pedal, and or your Pinnacle? I know you have a business to run, and understand whatever your answer is. But I had to ask. And everything I build is for me only, and built only once. Heck I hope to have enough money to build it once  :D

sorry, I can't give out a schematic, but I always have no problem with pointing someone in the general direction...
bw

caspercody

Can you help me with this first try of adding parts together to make an effect? This is the Gov'nor from GGG, with the added Baxandell tone stack, and I know the gain stage is wrong. Can you help with this?

I do not knowhow to insert an image on this email, so I sent it to your email address.

Thanks

caspercody

Brian,
I didn't even think about this, but I have your advanced book, and looking thru it I think I may have found an example you mention above.

So I know what the Gov'nor schematic looks like, and the baxandell tone stack. But I was not sure about the jfet gain stage. So, is the jfet gain stage at the end similar to the one you have shown in your advanced book on page 49 for the Wampler effect? Just add a volume at the end of C6, and add the cap and pot after D2 to adjust for the (1k) source? What would be a good value for these two? Or is there a example in this book of your Plextortion, and or Pinnacle pedals?

Also looking thru your book, it looks like the jfet is connected pretty much the same way. Almost all schematics I look at (yours, and JCM800, Plexizer, Diezel) the jfet is wired the same. Difference is values in caps, and resistors and some add a cap between the Gate and Source. Curious how you come up with the different values for the caps and resistors? And what does the cap between the Gate and Source do?

Thanks for your time
Rob