Trem Face...someone please, please help me! RG Keen, this involves you!

Started by Toddy, June 27, 2009, 11:04:29 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

trendyironicname

makes ME want to buy you a beer.  and it wasn't even my pedal.
There are 10 types of people in the world, those who understand binary, and those who don't.

newfish

Wow!

Would never have seen *that* one coming!

My money was on Angelina Jolie.   :icon_redface:

But seriously, that's one serious debugging thread.

For what it's worth Toddy, you've had a tough time with this box - they're not all like that!

It's like someone let all of the 'what could possibly go wrong' out on you all at once!

R.G. - once again you've shown experience, knowledge and kindness.

Thank you.
Happiness is a warm etchant bath.

tiges_ tendres

Awesome to hear it got fixed!

I hate solid core wire for similar reasons.  My first builds all sucked because of solid wire.  I would get something working, get really excited, drive over to a friends house to rock out only to find my pedal didnt work by the time I got there!  A connection would break inside the insulation.  If you wiggled it, it would work.

Perhaps we should all chip in and by toddy some stranded wire!

Try a little tenderness.

earthtonesaudio

ACS

Hey, awesome news!  Well done Toddy - brilliant effort, and you got it 99% of the way.  Debugging is definitely the hardest part, but I personally get a kick out of it - it's a great feeling when it finally works! 

What an epic first build - I hope you learned a lot and are now well and truly hooked!

Toddy

Have I mentioned this before? RG, You are the MAN!! (OK, so I guess I have but another time won't hurt!)

Thank you so much! And if you go outside at 12:00 eastern time or 11:00 Central time (even though it may be 125'F in the shade down there in Texas today) you may be able to here me singing your praises from all the way up here in Connecticut!!

With all due respect ACS, this was my nineth circuit build from scratch. I have been repairing radios, amps, and many other things for a while now. This was sure the wildest ride I've been on with one!

Once it makes its journey back home, and I install it in its proper box, I will try to do a sound sample and get it up on YouTube or my website. Right now there are no Trem Face clips on YouTube but there are thousands of Fuzz Faces.

Now I can concentrate on getting my germanium Orpheum Fuzz clone working. I only need to know the correct transistors for it. The 2N2163 (or a rearrangement of those numbers) and 2N418 that are in a Mosrite Fuzzrite, which the circuit is based on, are not the right ones as everyone claims. My original has unmarked Germaniums. Q1 is labeled  6638 033 and Q2 is labeled A4056 713 both are made by GE. Does anyone know what they can be?

And then debug my Pulsar (Eh's first design with the LM741 chip) build, which is my first one with a chip. Now I know that it's probably the solid core wires!!

Thanks so much again, RG! My last post on the Trem Face will hopefully direct you to a sound sample!

Excited to be getting it back home alive,
Toddy

PS. Those clapping old biddies are the BEST!!