Using a vactrol in place of a 1meg pot?

Started by Solidhex, June 29, 2009, 08:33:43 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Solidhex

Hey,

Wondering if someone could give me some info. I have a trem circuit with a 1 meg rate pot. I'd like to be able to control the rate with a footpedal. Before anyone suggests it I don't want to rig a panel mounted alpha pot in there. I want to use a standard 100k wah pot to control a VTL5C9 vactrol. What would be the best way to do that? I was referencing the "wah pedal retrofit from anderton" pic on R.G.'s site here: http://www.geofex.com/article_folders/wahpedl/wahped.htm#twintee . Its about halfway down the page. The article specifically deals with implementing it in a crybaby circuit though. I'd be using it just as a rheostat in a more simplified manner. I imagine I'd be keeping the 100uf cap, the 220nf, the led current limiting resistor in all the same arrangement but wiring the ldr legs in place of the lugs of the former 1 meg pot. What would be the best manner to tailor the response of the ldr? A trimpot in parallel with the ldr?
  I tried searching but couldn't find anything amongst all the uglyface posts etc...

thanks in advance...  Brad

Solidhex

Hmm

I bet the best way to tailor the response of the ldr would be to have a trimpot in series with the current limiting resistor....

--Brad

sean k

See the clari(not) for the 1k pot that sets the tracking for the LED firing the LDR across the delay pot and the uglyface which does the same thing but with the timing of the 555.
Monkey see, monkey do.
Http://artyone.bolgtown.co.nz/

Solidhex

Ah

Thanks for that. What an interesting circuit that is. I'm thinking now that I should put the trimpot between on the grounded lug of the voltage divider controlling the led. That way I can dial the dark resistance of the LDR into the 1 meg range instead of having the led go completely dark giving the full dark resistance of the LDR if that makes sense...

--Brad